• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vern Wimmer

Oh goody, goody, gumdrops

13 posts in this topic

My goodies are starting to arrive from my miniscule expansion shop-a-thon. The stencils are here from Ernie. Abrasives and brass stock from Tru-Grit. Excitement builds.

One of the benefits to starting out on a shoe string (a busted one at that) is that I get so much pleasure out of the smallest improvements in materials, equipment or sales. They are mini-milestones.

Building first charcoal forge

First store-bought steel

First real sale

First belt grinder (2x48)

First professional coal forge

First real anvil

First propane forge.

Now I sit on the edge of;

First professional etching system & pro stencils

First 2x72 grinder.

So, what are your past and future milestones ?

I am on the verge of my first sword, which is the ultimate goal for me. I began blade smithing in the hopes of creating swords for myself, so if I can finish this one (this is my third attempt), I will feel quite accomplished.

1 person likes this

I have been getting tooling in for my metal lathe, and looking for a suitable body to build a refractory furnace for casting aluminum for lathe projects.

6 minutes ago, SteveShimanek said:

I have been getting tooling in for my metal lathe, and looking for a suitable body to build a refractory furnace for casting aluminum for lathe projects.

Cool. I have a heap of aluminium in all kinds of sizes from an industrial scrap pile. I'd love having the time to learn how to cast it into things I could use in the shop like pulleys and wheels. Never enough time for  learning all there is that could be of use. 

Well every silver lining comes with its own cloud. My Coote grinder arrived and so did my Accu-Twist belt. I made a slight oopsie ordering the belt material. I got the right width (6' worth) but forgot the "V" configuration. No need to to send it back, I have other machines for it, but that means an early call in the morning. With my nature I will probably pop for expedited shipping.(Edit: found out I was right after all).

To make life even better I had no sooner made this discovery than my phone rang. My wife called from town to inform me that a brakeline on her car had suicided. Fortumately it happened a block from the service station that does all of our work.

My decision to go with this type of drive belt is due in part to the fact that my shop is several miles from town, it's a small town and not every place stocks every item and size and I have a lot of improvised equipment and do not consider waiting for the extra 2 days (at least) ,that gets added to estimate of every form of shipping known to man, a reward for living in the back eddy of the West Coast.

Edited by Vern Wimmer

As far as logistics goes, the back eddy of the West Coast is faster than the back eddies of the South Pacific......

1 hour ago, SteveShimanek said:

As far as logistics goes, the back eddy of the West Coast is faster than the back eddies of the South Pacific......

WARNING :"SNIVEL CONTENT" The following post contains high amounts of snivel,whine and self-pity. The Surgeon General has determined that exposure to such high levels may lead to an urge to slash ones wrists with a plastic butter knife. In sensitive individuals a severe reaction may cause the individual to develop a taste for the music of Yoko Ono.

Well, for the "lower 48" we're as back eddy as most could tolerate.

Curry County is larger than the State of Rhode Island.

Our County seat (Gold Beach) has a population around 2,200. It was the last County seat in the US to become an inorporated city.

There are 7 traffic lights in the County. 2 in Gold Beach, 5 in the big city of Brookings (pop. 6,000). There are none in the oldest city, Port Orford, which is also the westernmost incorporated city in the lower 48.

From my home, one way, the nearest....

Mickey D's .....40 miles

Radio Shack.....55 

Wally World......80

At my home my cell phone reception is 10% unavailable, 45% 1x, 45% 3g

A funny, sad perhaps, note is that folks in the rural areas are becomming more dependant on internet purchasing, and less DIY, than folks in more urban areas, due to the closing of many "Mom & Pop" brick and mortar businesses.

We may not be in the middle of the ocean, but we are halfway there.

I can see the attraction to a lifestyle like that at times, but no better than I can plan home projects, would struggle with a long drive to the hardware store.

When was the last time you were at that Radio Shack.  It may not be there anymore :( 

18 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

I can see the attraction to a lifestyle like that at times, but no better than I can plan home projects, would struggle with a long drive to the hardware store.

When was the last time you were at that Radio Shack.  It may not be there anymore :( 

Funny thing that you asked. I knew the owner of the shack in Gold Beach. He closed it a couple of years ago making the one in Brookings the only one on the County.......until last week when I wanted to come up with a power supply for blade etching..surprise! Now the nearest one is in Bandon, in Coos Co. I ordered from an online supplier

Still closer than American Samoa... :lol:  

11 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

Still closer than American Samoa... :lol:  

True. I heard the drive to the nearest Walmart is rough.:wacko:

Edited by Vern Wimmer

Nearest Walmart.....2500 miles, $1600 round trip airfare crammed into a flying sardine can. I remember when Gold Beach did not have ANY traffic lights. Those were the days....

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 1:13 PM, Brian Dougherty said:

I can see the attraction to a lifestyle like that at times,

You can still have that, should you choose to. My retirement plan includes moving to such a place.

The lot is 8 miles off the paved road. It's a hour drive to ....well, just about anything. Except the Costco. That's 2.5 hours in the other direction. I take that back, there's a Dollar Store and a post office about 15 miles away. 

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 1:01 PM, Vern Wimmer said:

At my home my cell phone reception is 10% unavailable, 45% 1x, 45% 3g

That's pretty good considering at my lot in NM I can't even send a text message...........no connectivity is the one thing about it that I don't always love.