Sign in to follow this  
Jesse Frank

Pics too dark

Hi everybody,

I've been using Coops simple light box, which has really helped out quite a bit. Thanks Coop! But my pics all seem to come out too dark, and with an odd yellowish tint. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to improve?

Thanks a heap!

Jesse

With digital cameras there is often an issue of white balancing. The camera is set to "auto white balance" and for whatever reason does not calibrate properly. Sometimes with certain kinds of light it can trick the camera into *not* shooting so that white is actually white.

Try adjusting the white balance, Jesse. Either the way the auto white balance calibrates itself or do it manually.

As far as dark goes, it sometimes depends on how the camera is set up also. If it is set in an "auto everything" mode and finds one very bright spot in the picture it will shut the iris down and the spot is perfectly exposed but the rest of the picture might be dark.

Usually in a light box with diffused light it is nice and even and this doesn't happen. But I can usually screw up anything and it has hapened to me before. :wacko: All of this sounds like you have the camera in a particular mode or preset or something. My Sony has a bunch of presets and the first one has a light meter in the center of the picture and adjusts the exposure to whatever this little crosshair is resting on...so if you use this mode and place the cross hair on a bright area or reflection the whole pix gets dark and strangely colored.

What kind of camera are you using, Jesse?

Brian

Thanks Brian! It's a canon powershot a85. I know it can do it... I'm just not workin' it right. I had tried the white balance trick before, and that helped, but didn't eliminate it completely.

I'm gonna fool with it some today to see what I can come up with......

Jesse, what solved the problem? :35:

That pix looks pretty good to me (maybe a bit under exposed or over compressed) in terms of B&W tracking or color.....

Brian

Jesse, what solved the problem? :35:

That pix looks pretty good to me (maybe a bit under exposed or over compressed) in terms of B&W tracking or color.....

Brian

31013[/snapback]

Thanks Brian :) I changed the settings to "indoor" and manually adjusted the white balance. And I put the lights closer to the diffuser. I still need to play with the macro settings and the lighting. It's really hard to get that light etch and the dark handle to show up.

This is another one of those time consuming skills to learn :huh::mellow:

Hi Jesse,

You're getting there. Probably better than whatever you had before....

Unless you have those elusive daylihgt balanced fluorescents, you will have fits color balancing other types of lights. Even if you do, you may have to experiment on the various settings to see the differences. Take a simple knife shot in ALL the settings available and see what comes up.

More light is ALWAYS better. Get more or get closer. Use a tripod and lengthen your exposure time, if nothing else. Use a manual setting to experiment.

Knifemaking success is DEPENDENT upon marketing yourself and your knife. This skillset is a requirement as much as making sheaths is. You're doing well. Keep at it.

Coop