Chili garlic paste

First batch of chili garlic paste from my garden, ripe (red) Jalapenos and garlic.  This is the best year I've had with the jalapeno peppers, I got over half a bushel from three plants.  I thought four pints would be enough, based on how fast I'm eating it, I better make 12 pints.  I like the jalapenos better then some of the other peppers because I like hot, but not too hot and the jalapenos when they're ripe are also a bit sweet.

Picture 2239 Large e-mail view.jpg

Edited by Gerald Boggs
  • Like 2

Looks good. I'll trade you for some of my homemade bulgoki sauce.

5 minutes ago, Gerald Boggs said:

If only you weren't so far.

I see your point. The Hazmat charges and all...:D

Damn your eyes...now ya got me hungry,,,,,

If you wish to know the price of freedom..Visit a Veteran's Hospital...I am humbled by their sacrifice... 

Why is it when the Mighty Thor throws his hammer he is dispensing Justice and fighting Evil..BUT..when I throw my hammer I wind up in a mandatory 16 week anger management course??</p>

I came into this world naked, screaming and covered in someone else's blood...I have no problem going out the same way...

In case any of you are thinking about making your own chili paste, I would recommend making use of latex gloves, safety glasses, long sleeved shirt and maybe even a face shield.  I did the gloves and safety glasses this time, next batch will have me all kitted up.

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:29 AM, Gerald Boggs said:

In case any of you are thinking about making your own chili paste, I would recommend making use of latex gloves, safety glasses, long sleeved shirt and maybe even a face shield.  I did the gloves and safety glasses this time, next batch will have me all kitted up.

Haha, I learned this the hard way the first time I made stuffed jalapenos. After hollowing out the peppers, my fingers were on fire for what seemed like the next three days, lol!

First time after I made a chilli relish (without gloves) I washed my hands several times until I couldn't smell the chilli anymore. Job done I thought. I went to have a shower. Now it would appear that Head&Shoulders works better at lifting the capsicum than normal soap. Rinsing my forge-hot scalp in searing desperation I didn't account for gravity taking the lava-liquid down. I'm sure it must have flowed more than half way down but that is where I remembered learning about a new kind of pain.

Edited by Charles du Preez

"The way we win matters" (Ender Wiggins) Orson Scott Card

Nos, qui libertate donati sumus, nes cimus quid constet.

16 hours ago, Jason McEntee said:

Haha, I learned this the hard way the first time I made stuffed jalapenos. After hollowing out the peppers, my fingers were on fire for what seemed like the next three days, lol!

With Jalapenos? I thought these were on the very low end of the Scoville scale? This year I got a pepper plant at the green house, thinking they would be ordinary chillies. Instead, some weird tiny shriveled peppers started growing on it, and a lot of them. I found out they most likely are Scotch Bonnets. It only takes a few crumbs of that to make a good spicy meal and they also taste wonderfull. Of course I had cut them up bare handed when I wanted to dry a batch. For the next few days I had very spicy fingers :huh:

Jeroen Zuiderwijk

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/barbarianmetalworking

• 5 months later...

What do you typically cook your chili garlic paste for? The only thing I love as much as knives and D&D (yes I'm a nerd) is food.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2017 at 11:41 AM, Jeroen Zuiderwijk said:

With Jalapenos? I thought these were on the very low end of the Scoville scale?

Late in seeing these. 

Jalapenos are, but for myself, I've found as I've aged, I like my HOT, a little less hot.  And if anyone is trying to make their own Sriracha, Hoy uses ripe (red) Jalapenos.  I made that mistake a few years ago by using the skinny Thai peppers, way to hot for me.

On 3/12/2018 at 4:40 PM, Tanner C. said:

What do you typically cook your chili garlic paste for? The only thing I love as much as knives and D&D (yes I'm a nerd) is food.

Everything but with ice cream.  I put a bit of spice on almost every meal.