Panfish cleaning set

I've finally finished this set that I've been working on (among other things) for the last month or so.  0.040" thick, 5.25" long blade, 9.5" OAL.  This one was ground from a used high speed steel band saw blade that I "saved" from the dumpster at work.  The handle is my usual black walnut scales with brass pins.  The case/cutting board is a mix of hickory and mahogany with stainless steel fittings.  As always, brutally honest comments or critiques are very welcome.

DSC_0365.JPG

DSC_0364.JPG

DSC_0361.JPG

Thanks for looking!

Alex

• Like 1

That's a nice kit. I really like the lines on the filet knife, and the cutting board/case is a cool concept. Now it just needs to be christened with the blood of a Crappie.... ;)

Edited by Jason McEntee

To be brutally honest Alex, I find it hard to pick any fault with that. I like the whole thing. Well done.

"The way we win matters" (Ender Wiggins) Orson Scott Card

Nos, qui libertate donati sumus, nes cimus quid constet.

Thanks guys.  I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.  Jason, unfortunately I don't get to christen this one.  I'm donating it to a charity that a friend of mine started and operates.  They sell craft projects to raise money to help out special needs kids.

• Like 2

I think my dad would love a set like this. Do you mind if I duplicate your design as christmas present for my dad? He recently moved to a warmer climate and will no doubt be spending alot more time fishing now.

I have a feeling he probably wont because its too nice to get dirty. I have a question about heat treating the blade. I dug around in the scrap bin at my work and found a band saw blade 1" wide and around .035 thick. I didc some basic hardening tests and I found the steel did not seem to change its temper when heated to non magnetic and quenched in oil. It did get extremely brittle with a water quench. After some reading it seems highspeed steel is a bit tricky to harden and temper. Just curious if you did a heat treat or left it as is. What was your process?

I had a lot of the same issues.  The best way I found it to work was to use a torch to heat it up to a bright red/dull orange with the shop lights on and then quench right away in water.  I didnt magnet test it but I'm sure it was well over nonmag temperature.  I don't have a hardness tester but it skated a file very well.  For tempering, I put it in the oven at 350 for a cycle and then sharpened it until the edge started chipping away.  I then repeated the process over and over at a slightly higher temperature until the edge stayed sharp and held up to a little abuse.  It ended up being 425 in my oven.  I'm pretty happy with the results, it kept a good amount of flexibility and maintained a shaving sharp edge through some basic testing.  The only thing I didn't do was break it to look at the grain structure.  I'm not sure if that is a good indicator with HSS or not, but I may do that tonight on another piece just to see what it looks like.

Thanks for all the info. Its a huge help. I will go ahead with that method. I think im going to chop up the rest of the blade in 12" sections for future projects as well. If any one wants a peice I can send it for the cost of shipping

Here is my take on it. Bandsaw blade same overall dimensions as OP. I used eastern aromatic cedar rubbed with beeswax and aluminum pins. Im not sure how to sharpen this blade as its much thinner (.035") than anything ive done before. Should I do a primary bevel from the shoulder or just a small bevel to give it an edge with a micro bevel?

20171026_223531.jpg

20171026_223544.jpg

I would just put an edge on it myself..........;)

If ya can't be good don't git caught  !!                                        People who say stuff can't be done need to

git the hell outta the way of people who do stuff   !!!

Show me a man who is called an expert by his peers         

And I will show you a good man to listen to ......

Show me a man who calls himself an expert

and I will show you an egotistical asshole...............!!

I like it Dave.  Especially the narrower blade profile.  That should work really well on a panfish.  I just used the belt sander to put the primary edge on mine, and then buffed it to a razor on a birch wheel.