How much of a beating can an anvil take ?

When you think about what the first metal pounders went through then the history of bladesmithing up through the 19th century, and beyond, we are in pretty tall cotton today when we can go to a scrapyard and come out with the makings of some of the fundamental tools.

(Filosoffical observation)

• 3 weeks later...

For a tiny Viking-travel-sized anvil, cut the bottom corners off a wood splitting wedge, then mount it into a hole in a stump as shown with the much larger one  in the link posted earlier. Not a tremendous rebound, but it should be less than $10 new and you can hammer on it all day long.

• 2 years later...

Almost all the broken anvils around here have broken feet.  It's not from use, but misuse:  Anvil Shoots. 

I would call people who do this to a good anvil "forking morons", but I don't want a COC violation with less than 5 posts, so I won't.

• Like 1

Al You're quite the necromancer ;) I had totally forgotten about this thread ! She's still a live and kicking my ol' anvil :P   been forging quite a bit in that proces

Yep, Jerrod, I  think it's going to turn out to be a really nice anvil............as has been most everything he's put out on the market.  Unfortunately, his offerings are a bit pricey!  (for my pocket book, at least)

Edited by Chris Christenberry
7 hours ago, Troels Saabye said:

Al You're quite the necromancer ;) I had totally forgotten about this thread ! She's still a live and kicking my ol' anvil :P   been forging quite a bit in that proces

Oops!  Lost track of where I was.  :blink:

On 10/9/2017 at 4:54 AM, Troels Saabye said:

Old Scottish pattern I believe

I belive this type of anvil is called a Yorkshire pattern.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Al Dolney said:

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the 67 lb knife anvil from Atlas

Probably because it's quite a new product.  The last I heard,  Charles (the owner of the company) said he was hoping they were going to be available to the public by this August.

Edited by billyO
  • Like 1

I really wanted the Atlas but just couldn't wait for them to hit the market.  I ended up with a 100 pound Fisher and am very happy with it.  But If I were looking for an anvil today............................the Atlas would definitely be in my sights.

Never got around to the one tonne anvil :P got that for later - for now I'm going to visit a mate I haven't seen in 5 years but turns out he's beginning knifemaking :) and going down to visit next weekend, it's on an folk highschool (danish thing) that used to be a high class japanese bording school, turns out they have a power hammer :D old but we can try it and use it.

Going to bring some charcoal from the retort ^^

Fortunately he has alredy gotten an anvil xD I really don't want to travel with my big one

From what the Atlas add said the 67 lb anvil is a modified sawmakers anvil.  It has multiple radius' on the edges and on what would be the heel.  I ordered one because it's reasonably priced and it's light enough that I can wheel it away into the garage and lock it up between forging sessions because thieves have stripped me down to four tongs (just out of luck they were my most used tongs).

They gave me a target delivery date of July 31.  I'll see how it goes.

Doug

• Like 1