• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Warner Smith

The price was right...

26 posts in this topic

Well, looking through the scrap area at my workplace, I spotted this all metal bench with vise.  Rusty?  Sure.  But the price was right and it's all metal.  Should be a usable work space.  What do you think?

Warner

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I'd have had that in the truck before they finished saying "you can have it."  :lol:  And I don't even have a place to put it!

4 people like this

Yeah, that vise seems extremely sturdy!

1 person likes this

Score!

1 person likes this

I'd have loaded it so fast I'd have left the painted coating behind.

1 person likes this

Thanks guys.  I also have my eye on a tall metal shelving unit.......maybe a load for tomorrow.  Haha.  The scrap area has turned into my new favorite shopping place.  

Warner

Yup, definitely a good score!

1 person likes this

OK, I just drove my truck back to receiving and they loaded it onto my truck.....and I can tell you this, it's HEAVY!   I honestly have no clue how I'm going to get it off my truck when I get home or how I'm going to move it around. 

Warner

A neighbor with a tractor and boom pole or hay spear can work wonders, or call a towing company and ask for a hook truck, and tell them why you want one.  They often double as riggers for heavy stuff.  It may set you back $50, but that's how I unloaded my power hammer.  They also have hydraulic pushers, so the guy pushed the hammer right where I wanted it in about a minute.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

A neighbor with a tractor and boom pole or hay spear can work wonders, or call a towing company and ask for a hook truck, and tell them why you want one.  They often double as riggers for heavy stuff.  It may set you back $50, but that's how I unloaded my power hammer.  They also have hydraulic pushers, so the guy pushed the hammer right where I wanted it in about a minute.

I'm in the city, Alan.  Haha.  I'm sure some redneck engineering will get it done, somehow.  Heck, I had one of my motorcycles hanging from my garage rafters a couple weeks ago while I was replacing rocker gaskets.  I don't know how heavy this thing is, but I doubt if it weighs more than the bike (that one was around 400 pounds).  Maybe I'm wrong....but other than the vise and the steel top, I'm just not sure where all the weight would come from.....

Warner

Looking online though, even these old tables are pretty pricey.  Yes, the vise is welded onto the table top, but it should still be very functional.  Obviously it all needs to be cleaned up....and I'm not sure if the vise still swivels or not.....that may take some "persuasion".

Warner

59 minutes ago, Warner Smith said:

OK, I just drove my truck back to receiving and they loaded it onto my truck.....and I can tell you this, it's HEAVY!   I honestly have no clue how I'm going to get it off my truck when I get home or how I'm going to move it around. 

Warner

Reverse at full speed, then slam the brakes ;) I had something similar, but missing the top. I gave it away as I had to clear space, and it was gone instantly. Nice solid steel, industrial workbenches are great. Having a work bench that does not move at all when your filing, sawing is a great help. I now use the dinner table as workbench (as does my girlfriend), which is solid oak, but not quite as inflexible and heavy unfortunately.

Edited by Jeroen Zuiderwijk
1 person likes this

This is how I lifted my press out of a truck, and put it on a cart to move to the shed.  I'm horrified when I look at this picture.  Some day I am going to make the local headlines in a most spectacular fashion.  

press lift.jpg

3 people like this

17 minutes ago, Brian Dougherty said:

This is how I lifted my press out of a truck, and put it on a cart to move to the shed.  I'm horrified when I look at this picture.  Some day I am going to make the local headlines in a most spectacular fashion.  

press lift.jpg

That's fantastic.  :)

Well, I made it home without losing it on the highway,  so that potential disaster was averted. 

Warner 

Edited by Warner Smith
Spelling

Got it in the garage!  Used my winch and some redneck engineering.  The rust isn't nearly as bad as I thought, and I got the vise freed up as far as swiveling around.  It's good to go!

20171011_181249.jpg

20171011_181239.jpg

1 person likes this

It's about 5 1/2 feet x 3 feet.  Estimating the weight around 300 pounds.   The frame is made from thick-ass angle iron, the door have Springer hinges....pretty nice find.  

4 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

press lift.jpg

Brian I can hear those ladders complaining right now, oooooooooooooooooh! Stuff like that makes you wish you could weigh it just to see how close you came to an Oh, S4!7!

When you finally set it down, that is about when you realize you been holding your breath for the past 5 minutes!! Wheeeeew!  Image result for emoji wiping sweat

3 people like this

9 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

press lift.jpg

Jerry rigged to the extreme. A good outcome from bad tactics does not mean your tactics are good. But I love it, the engineering worked!!! Warner envious of the table and vise, great score. 

1 person likes this

I'm glad you got it home Warner, that is going to be a great work table for many years.

C Craft & Jim,  I actually knew the weight of the press, and it was 50 lbs below the load limits of the two ladders combined.  However, I had no way of knowing how well distributed the weight was, or even if these old ladders were still good for it.  I survived, but will not do that again.  That "Beam" was made of 3 2x6s screwed together.  It deflected an awful lot under the weight.  So much so that we had to let air out of the tires of the truck to drive it out from under the rig.

1 person likes this

You guys are one lucky bunch ;)... going to a massive flee-marked tomorrow, hopefully I find something good there :) 

1 person likes this