Did I forge weld right?

Just finished the first step in making another tomahawk head (4th try so far), and it looks good, I just can’t tell if it successfully welded. I used borax and got most of the scaling off and then just hammered it shut and heated and hammered again, then I turned he forge off to ground rough edges. I got down flat on the edge and it seems to have welded, it’s flat and no crack I can stick anything into, but I can see the slightest line through the middle, a tiny line I couldn’t see it at first. Is this any indication that the weld is not closed? It seems like it obviously is I just don’t know if it’s something else, I’ll send a picture but it’s hard to see!

also, some areas the line is easier to see than others, and some spots I can’t even see the line so maybe I just haven’t ground down far enough

if this isn’t completely welded, would another couple of heats and hammers close it or is that window now closed?298A7359-3615-40DE-978B-F6C134623C4C.jpeg

Are you going to insert a piece of steel for the bit? If so when you re-heat to spread it, if the weld is not good it will pop!! Seeing the line doesn't necessarily mean that it is not welded!

Alan Longmire can offer you more advice on this one! He does quite a few tomahawks! 

Edited by C Craft
20 minutes ago, C Craft said:

Are you going to insert a piece of steel for the bit? If so when you re-heat to spread it, if the weld is not good it will pop!! Seeing the line doesn't necessarily mean that it is not welded!

Alan Longmire can offer you more advice on this one! He does quite a few tomahawks! 

No I was just going to draw out the steel and use the end as sort of a billet, but thanks, now I know it’s not a useless piece

8 hours ago, Gary Mulkey said:

Often a dark  line that way indicates that it didn't  weld all the way to the edge(s).  The middle may be welded.

Is it possible that I could maybe reheat again and hammer a few times to bring weld to edges? Thanks!

It's possible, as long as you get it hot enough and flux it well.  It may be that there's enough scale in there that it won't take, though.  I'd give it another couple of welding heats as insurance.  Sometimes it can help to hammer directly on the weld line as well.  A bonus of doing that is that if it isn't welded anywhere you'll know immediately when it pops open.  Then you can flatten it back out, grind clean, and start over.  Or throw it under the forge, like some of us have been known to do... :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

It's possible, as long as you get it hot enough and flux it well.  It may be that there's enough scale in there that it won't take, though.  I'd give it another couple of welding heats as insurance.  Sometimes it can help to hammer directly on the weld line as well.  A bonus of doing that is that if it isn't welded anywhere you'll know immediately when it pops open.  Then you can flatten it back out, grind clean, and start over.  Or throw it under the forge, like some of us have been known to do... :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for the advice! Also sometimes I use a lot of flux on accident and it creates almost like a black scale when it’s heated, does this all have to be removed? And is that the borax or just regular scale? Sorry if you’re not sure what I mean by this, bad description