• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kreg

1st attempt forging a blade...scale Q?

5 posts in this topic

I did smash some width out of a leaf spring for the bowie in the pic....but I dont think I would consider it a "forged " blade.

A local machine shop was kind enough to donate a couple of timing chains to my cause. They seemed to pas the spark test with flying colors...pun intended.

Last night I smashed he together until I got to the point where I was ready to put it on its side and go from there.

I decided to stop until I could ask you guys.....I am worried about trapping scale in the blade.

I soaked it over night in vinegar and a bunch of scale washed off this morning....but I am still concerned.

I was able to buy some ferric acid a few months back when I started playing knife boy....but all the radio shacks around here are gone now...and cant find any.

Would some muratic acid be a good call here....or am I worried about nothing

timingchainblade.jpg

Muriatic works fine, ferric will not touch it (it's not an acid, it's a corrosive salt).  Flux the living crap out of it early and often until all the gaps are gone.  The tighter you can wad it up before welding, the better.  If you have access to a press, those are great for this type of work.  

Thanks Alan.....will pick some up on the way home. I tacked welded it up pretty tight before hammering on it and have been fluxing heavily.

No press unfortunately...just a hammer and a railroad track/piece.

Hopefully my next post will be my first damascus blade. This hobby has really got me hooked and I appreciate all the advise I have gotten on here.

I'll start by saying my experience is limited to a chainsaw chain that I completely messed up, and a motorbike chain where I did more wrong than right, but got a knife out of it at least.

My only suggestion is cut that piece in half otherwise you'll end up with something too long and skinny.

That does look like a better type of chain.......flux like Alan said.

I have a 3 day weekend and hope to make some progress on this and a 1075 a36 san mai I am trying to forge together.

If I cant get enough width out of the chain for a drop point hunter I will either cut and stack it or switch gears and make a filet knife.

I just hope I havent already trapped some scale in there from the other day. Worst case scenario I have another free chain and can try again.

A friend gave me a ton of spring steel....may try a tanto soon. If any of you are in the slc utah area and want some spring steel hit me up.

I dont think I will ever use it all.