• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Warner Smith

First real forge test

5 posts in this topic

I cured the Kast O Lite yesterday,  so today was the first real firing of my forge.  I still need to put the layer of Plistix on, but wanted to turn something red and see how the burner works.  What do you guys think?

Warner 

It works! That said, you may not want to have the burner flame directly on your piece of stock unless it is mild steel...but you probably already know that huh?

1 person likes this

Just now, Joël Mercier said:

It works! That said, you may not want to have the burner flame directly on your piece of stock unless it is mild steel...but you probably already know that huh?

Joel,  I know almost nothing.   Haha. 

Warner 

I don't know how to break it to you, but, it looks like you may have a forge on your hands.

I have to agree that you need to have the flame swirling around the workpiece not directly on it.

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Vern Wimmer said:

I don't know how to break it to you, but, it looks like you may have a forge on your hands.

I have to agree that you need to have the flame swirling around the workpiece not directly on it.

I'll be back for advice.  Haha.  I'll be putting the Plistix layer on tomorrow.

Thanks,

Warner