Hey guys.

I am always worried about one of my blades failing in a costumers hands, particularly snapping. 

of course I know the old file test, but I was wondering if there is any way to test if a blade was quenched to hot and is brittle. I know if the edge chips while sharpening that’s a clear sign :P

so if the file skates and the edge doesent chip, then I’m in the right area in HRC, right?

Thanks for looking!

Blistering on the surface is a tell tale sign of overheating. A few blimishes are normal, but a bunch of them is a sure sign. Etching the blade may make this more evident, and you can also see if you normalized right because if you kept it at critical for 3 cycles you will get alloy banding. That's my playbook for testing a blade without destroying it. At least then you can normalize and try again. 

Sorry if you had to look it up. I try not to do that but my wife wanted me to carry the laundry and I judt pushed the button

16 hours ago, Vern Wimmer said:

Sorry if you had to look it up. I try not to do that but my wife wanted me to carry the laundry and I judt pushed the button

It’s all good, all I need is the key word 

16 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

Blistering on the surface is a tell tale sign of overheating. A few blimishes are normal, but a bunch of them is a sure sign. Etching the blade may make this more evident, and you can also see if you normalized right because if you kept it at critical for 3 cycles you will get alloy banding. That's my playbook for testing a blade without destroying it. At least then you can normalize and try again. 

Could I have some more info on (blistering) if you mean right after heat treat, I have all kinds of scale buildup and decarb, but how do I identify blistering?