From the Beginning

I was going to start a thread after I got a little further along but just like everything in this world,  everything is subject to change...  like many that has come here, the FIF has inspired an interest or further inspired an interest in blacksmithing and knife making... so I decided I would gather the needed items and start making stuff... after a bunch of reading and some research and being a DIY guy,  I figured I would begin by making a forge then some tools to work with... I found an anvil I could get my hands on since that was not something I thought was realistic to make other than making an anvil like object which is what I would of done if an anvil was obtainable... the forge I plan to make is going to be a blown gas forge made from a couple some LP tanks... this process is already not being very cooperative but that's OK,,, just a bump in the road that went a little like this so far... cut the bottom off a couple tanks and went to weld them only to find I was out of gas for the mig... got a tank of gas only to find out that the regulator has gone bad... ordered a kit for the reg and on delivery date I get an email telling me they are out of stock so my order was cancelled...  currently still waiting on parts from a different supplier... once I an able to actually do something I was going to post as I go in the making of the forge... I had figured on my first project was going to be a set of tongs to work with and a hardie cut off tool... anyway, as it turned out, my son in law traded some work for a session on knife making with a smith... him, my daughter, 2 grandkids, and myself all got to make a basic knife so I thought I would share a pic of the first thing I have ever forged which happened to be a knife... we didn't really had a plan or pattern and was given the liberty to just pound what you feel and see what turns out... I ended up with a 4" blade and 8 1/2" overall with a simple paracord handle... it was a good time... I guess for safety reason we weren't allowed to grind or sharpen so the smith put  the edge on it...

1stknife1.jpeg

1stknife2.jpeg

1stknife3.jpeg

1stknife4.jpeg

Edited by MIke Carlton

Congratulations!

Now to be a bit chauvenistic in regard to FIF, cruise the different sections here to find out how it's really done.

Very good getting some "smith time". You are starting on a good roll. Keep it going.

3 minutes ago, Vern Wimmer said:

Congratulations!

Now to be a bit chauvenistic in regard to FIF, cruise the different sections here to find out how it's really done.

Very good getting some "smith time". You are starting on a good roll. Keep it going.

I'm mid fifties and have seen a moon or 2 go by and I very much take the FIF for what it is... just an entertainment show and if someone is to think they are going to do what they show there with what they show then a big surprise is on the horizon... I still find it entertaining... I suppose like many find wrestling entertaining, as fake as that is... I've always turned wrenches and beat nails to make things or make them work and I get as much out of the accomplishment of making/fixing something as I do out of the purpose of making it... sometimes more... I've probably done more things than I would like to admit that would of made better sense (cents)  to buy or pay someone else to do but the feeling of DIY just takes over and making sense becomes an opinion... I have lurked around here for quite a few hours and along with a few books I've gotten I realize there is a lot of science involved and more to it than heating a piece of metal and beating on it... this just makes it more interesting... and thanks for the comment... I plan to continue this thread with how the forge goes together and things that get made to work with as it goes along... but it ain't going much of anywhere until I can weld something... hopefully I will have parts soon...

You sound so much like me it's scary. I have had a long layoff from the shop and have started an upgrade. It's half store bought, half DYI.

Good luck and look forward to seeing more.

Mike, that is a fine first go at knife making. Depending on what steel it is, you might be able to turn that into a very usable tool with a few files and/or an angle grinder. I only say that because the "edge" is very undeveloped and would benefit greatly from some further bevel refinement. It looks like you forged the bevels in, there seems to be a couple of plunge cuts.

22 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Mike, that is a fine first go at knife making. Depending on what steel it is, you might be able to turn that into a very usable tool with a few files and/or an angle grinder. I only say that because the "edge" is very undeveloped and would benefit greatly from some further bevel refinement. It looks like you forged the bevels in, there seems to be a couple of plunge cuts.

Thank you for the comment... I was thinking of  re-doing the edge since we wasn't allowed to do any of the grinding but for a functional useful knife, it needs a bit more help... the edge was the only thing I didn't do... from what I can tell this was a very basic workshop session geared for people that wanted to do something different as interactive entertainment... it was still pretty cool... a lot of the attention was on the grandkids in keeping them entertained and safe... it takes a little bit to keep on top of a 10 and 11 year old... I forget what steel was supplied but I remember it being mentioned that it was the same as used for an old iron frying pan... when we were done forging we went through the normalizing, hardening and tempering then the smith just basically sharpened the thing... being as new to things as I am, I'm not sure on some of the term-ology... what are the plunge cuts you are referring to.... I was thinking a plunge cut was where the bevel and ricasso (not that there is much of one on this knife) meet when the bevel was ground in instead of forged.... anyway, this knife is not friendly where the transaction between the handle and blade are... it is very easy for the finger to get into the back of the sharpened area of the blade... I am contemplating revising the tang and making a guard and handle... this might make it safe to handle and worth revising the edge to making it useful... 

Welcome and congrats on the first blade. Time with an experienced smith it time well spent. 

I gotta ask why do you want to make a forge that size ? I assume you are referring to two 20lb tanks. That's borderline huge !

Edited by DBain
20 hours ago, DBain said:

Welcome and congrats on the first blade. Time with an experienced smith it time well spent. 

I gotta ask why do you want to make a forge that size ? I assume you are referring to two 20lb tanks. That's borderline huge !

Thanks for the welcome... as far as size, IDK, I just really like to make things... I was thinking about the HT to some degree and the 20# tanks were handy and didn't feel like 1 was long enough for later down the road... I also know there is only so much metal that can be worked before the heat is lost...... I didn't really think of it in terms of huge or all that big either... but I'm also here in the beginners area for a reason,,,

so after lurking/reading for a while then signing up and lurking more, the plan (as of now) for the forge is the 2 - 20# tanks insulated and layered with kastolite 30 then a removable layer of hard brick for the floor... I'm contemplating of making the brick from some kastolite but was going to ask questions before I went there... I'm planing to cast a ribbon burner from the kastolite,,, thinking maybe 10 X 3 or 12 X 3 unless I find a reason to do differently... I was going to let the kastolite be the inside finish but with some reading, it seems like a coating over that should be applied... I was expecting to end up with about 7 to 8 inches wide by about 6 inches tall and about 18 inches long or so... maybe 750-800 ci or so... flat bottom arched top and upper side mounted burner... from what I have been seeing, it seems like the ribbon burner is easy to adjust, control temp, easy on fuel consumption and low on the noise created providing the blower is quiet... anyway, all is subject to change until it is done... if I read nothing further or don't  hear of a better plan that works for me, that's the road I'm headed down but I'm always open for advise...

Well, I finally got the rebuild kit of the regulator and able to weld something... clean the rust back up on the edge of the 2 tanks which I had cut the bottom off... tank on the left is cut just as the bottom started rounding off and tank on the right was cut before it started rounding off...  made for a slight fitting together of the 2... they welded up nicely but not exactly nicely welded... my little welding experience has been with a stick welder and a mig works a bit differently... I was outside doing this and had a little problem till I realized the slightest bit of breeze was interfering with the gas shielding the weld... turned out a bit ugly but some grinding make everything OK... didn't have a lot of time so this is as far as I got...

forge1.jpeg

forge2.jpeg

Two layers of k-wool and lined with firebrick on the bottom it will shrink the interior some but it is on the large size! What is the diameter on the tanks??

48 minutes ago, C Craft said:

Two layers of k-wool and lined with firebrick on the bottom it will shrink the interior some but it is on the large size! What is the diameter on the tanks??

they are 12"...... hoping to end up with something efficient and aiming to get 7 or 8 inches wide at the floor and about 6 inches in an arched top working area... also wanted room for a curved something another later down the road...

Well, I didn't get a chance to work on the forge build but I did get an addition to the workshop.... 80 lb by Warren Tool & Forge Co... I started cleaning it up then decided to post a couple pics the way I found it.... or almost since I did start already... no foot plate and a little something added on the bottom of the leg which I think won't be to much of a problem to remove... and I will need to make a spring for it...

postvise1.jpeg

postvise2.jpeg

Edited by MIke Carlton