IMPORTANT Registration rules Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Zeb Camper

How bout another bowie WIP?

For those who missed it in a thread down in the metallurgy section, oil speed is a relative way of saying how fast a given quenchant can take a certain amount of heat out of a 1" monel ball. Parks 50 is a 7-second oil.  Parks AAA is an 11-second oil.  Clean canola at 130 degrees F runs in between, but closer to the 11-second line.  

• Like 2

Thanks guys. Someday I'll put that knowlage to good use.

Me and my boss have decided to make new forges together to possibly save on shipping of supplies, and since he has mig welders, and I know more about forges. 

I'm thinking vertical with a forced air burner for a specialized welding forge. Probably just a horizontal venturi for him. 

I'm thinking;

30'rolled insulation,

5 gallons refractory,

Two burners,

Fan,

1 gallon Bactine,

2 large rolls of gauze,

1 large roll first-aid tape,

10 gallons topical saline.

:P:D

Sorry, just in one of "those" moods today:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Got my Christmas shopping done today (yeah, I'm one of those people). 

After that I stocked up on sanding belts for grinding the fuller. I's like "we gown grind some thangs!".

Draw filing begins tomarrow. I would have started tonight, but my C clamps are just gone, so I'll have go fistfight the crowds at lowes tomarrow. 

I'm pretty excited about this one!

20171222_164059.jpg

• Like 1

Gawd! What we have here is a crew-served knife!  Looks really good. I want to keep up with this one.

25 minutes ago, Vern Wimmer said:

Gawd! What we have here is a crew-served knife!  Looks really good. I want to keep up with this one.

:lol: It's actually a sword. It's got a 24"blade. Prolly useless in battle against a longsword or bastard sword, but would possibly stand up to a kopis or gladius type sword. It's light enough for 1 hand, but 2 will be an option. Here's sorta what it'll look like. I had it in design and critique a while ago. 

Edit: And thanks, glad you like it.

Screenshot_2017-12-22-17-49-39.png

Edited by Zeb Camper

Thanks Joël! Here's another iteration of the sword. It's slowly becoming a japanese fusion. 

Also, here's the blade that actually somewhat inspired this blade. From the album cover of one of my favorite metal bands: I liked the choil, and I was already a big fan of choilage, had alot of extra steel, so I said "why not?". 

I want sort of a post apocalyptic/ but still well made vibe to it. Clean, Active hamon, but really bring it all together with patinas and textures. 

20171222_191743.jpg

Screenshot_2017-12-22-19-16-10.png

I think it has an "elvish" quality to it.

BTW I like and envy your sketching ability.

• Like 1

Thanks! You don't want what I got though. It's a curse and a blessing. I can do a lot of artsy fartsy stuff, and quote every word of Emenem's "rap god" (1700+ words) but I can barely chew gum and walk. Everything requires 1000% focus or I get lost, forget what I was even doing. I seriously get lost while driving places I've already been a dozen times. 

So, how long have you been in Congress ?

• Haha 2

I thought I had the drawfiling done, but turns out I have no distal taper. It's funny, the intire blade is .34" thick on the micrometer while I distinctly remember forging the distal in. Anywho, I gotta figure out how to fix that, not sure how I'll go about it. Here's a picture of it under my big ol' kat. That I need to make a new habaki for, and finish.

20171223_143631.jpg

• Like 2

Got a nuther'n ready fer heat treat yesterday. I'm going to do a how to on decalescense, normalization, and differential hardening for 1075 using this blade. I'm not sure I do it "correctly" by standards of some, but it produces good results. I find myself answering questions about that part of it quite often. It would be nice to have a post to quickly refer to. 

So, here's the new addition:

20180101_101852.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Boy there is some fantastic work here going on mate. Wonderfull drawings too. Be looking forward to seeing this progress. Metal music is your secret hey?  I often forge to bagpipes

Do you know why bagpipers march when they play ?

To get away from the sound.

(I actually love the pipes but I have a library of bagpipe jokes)

1 hour ago, Rob Toneguzzo said:

Boy there is some fantastic work here going on mate. Wonderfull drawings too. Be looking forward to seeing this progress. Metal music is your secret hey?  I often forge to bagpipes

Thanks man, means alot coming from the genius that invented the katutlass. 

Bagpipes are cool. Even though I love metal, to be honest I prefer softer stuff when actually forging. The first song I fire up is "battery" by Apocalyptica. It sets the mood. They're a cello band that covers Metallica. It mixes so well. Songs like "fade to black", "One", and "nothing else matters" are my favorites to forge to and just listen to. 

I mix in several other slower more ballady songs of different styles, and artist, genres, times etc. 

Here is my favourite for when I need some inspiration...best played loud haha. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Vern Wimmer said:

Do you know why bagpipers march when they play ?

To get away from the sound.

(I actually love the pipes but I have a library of bagpipe jokes)

A “gentleman” is someone who knows how to play the bagpipes... but doesn’t.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's been a while since I saw the last of the mohicans. I listened to that link at work today. Loved it. Thanks Rob!

• Like 1

On 1/1/2018 at 10:27 AM, Zeb Camper said:

Got a nuther'n ready fer heat treat yesterday. I'm going to do a how to on decalescense, normalization, and differential hardening for 1075 using this blade. I'm not sure I do it "correctly" by standards of some, but it produces good results. I find myself answering questions about that part of it quite often. It would be nice to have a post to quickly refer to.

Sorry:( no hammy... I decided my supply of pocket change was dangerously low, so I decided to turn that knife into a quick buck. Think I'll do a tactical fusion style. I'm gonna do the tutorial someday...  

I got the biggest bowie (13 1/2" blade) sanded as far as I care to (600 grit). I got some pitting on the blade/ricasso area from the pitting on the leaf sping it was forged from. I actually kinda like it though; it's in a tastful area.

I leaft some rough sandpaper marks on the top ridge, should help tie it in with the whole salvaged/hand made theme it's taking on. it should look real nice with some wrought iron fittings, and a scortched hickory handle. 

I got the other bowie sanded to 2,000 grit before it stabbed me. I had to retreat to dress my wounds and regroup. I'll etch that beautiful hammy out tomarrow! 

20180112_153737.jpg

20180112_153837.jpg

20180112_164119.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks mayne! I tried a hot venigar etch on the other just now. It worked very well to my suprise. After about three 2 minute soaks I could see the habuchi and utsuri clearly. I may still do an etch in ferric to bring it out further. 

20180112_211653.jpg

20180112_211718.jpg

20180112_211809.jpg

20180112_211921.jpg

• Like 2

So, I grabbed the old wrought iron tsuba I had laying around and fit it onto the biggest bowie. Then I tried to put a hickory handle on it, but It cracked on the bottom. So, in a desperate attempt to save the handle I chopped it off short. Then I got a piece of deer antler and fitted it to the tang. Meanwhile, the handle cracked up top, so I grabbed some curly maple to make the new one.

I gotta say, I'm diggin' it. I'll have to fit a steel spacer on the back of the handle to peen the tang to. This thing is pretty gigamungus. sorry for all the fingerprints on the blade in the pics. Not that it matters its nowhere near done.

20180113_170134.jpg

20180113_170906.jpg