• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Zeb Camper

How bout another bowie WIP?

Great work, my friend! I believe blood is the special ingredient in superior blades(or is it precise HT?) Or maybe I'm just drunk again...

I'd gladly exchange one of your big blades for one of the kitchen knives I'm working on ^_^

• Like 1

Yes, blood, and heat treatment, but don't forget to check the whiskey every so often B) (make sure it's still good)

That would probably be a good trade! A zombie defense weapon for a finely crafted piece of kitchen cutlery. 

Dang! Looks expensive. My favorite alchohol so far is this cheap junk rum called "cracken". And it isn't for a lack of trying other stuff. I just like it.

Changed my mind on the buttcap. Put a piece of some really gnarly wrought with cracks in it on there.I decided to keep the real deer antler texture. I got a picture of the 1st coat of teak oil on that curly maple. 

20180114_161409.jpg

20180114_161417.jpg

20180114_161436.jpg

20180114_163535.jpg

• Like 1

Found a hamon on what was supposed to be my "fully hardened blade" the only problem was that it was too close to the edge.

So, I swiftly took my tube of refractory caulk and shot a bunch of blotches on there to see what might happen and gave it another quench. 

To my suprise the spots that hardened were exactly where I had my clay. The areas around my clay were not hard (except for the edge).

My hypothesis for this outcome was that when I went in for the quench the area around the clay cooled off too quickly before the quench not allowing it to harden. The clay held the heat. During the first 3 seconds I knocked the clay off the sides and put into the quench again. Perhaps when I knocked the clay off I hardened those areas. 

Not sure what happened, but it's gonna look awesome! Here it is 80 grit with Ferric chloride etch.

20180119_150246.jpg

20180119_152144.jpg

20180119_150252.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joël Mercier said:

Damn...

Give it a try if you want man! I just shot a bunch of blotches of clay on the blade. I might do it this way from here on out!