• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Geoff Keyes

OT damascus shotgun barrels

I picked up a  damascus double shotgun barrel set over the weekend.  It's a pattern called  Crolle (I think) and our research leads us to think that they are from a Parker.  Here is my dilemma, I bought them with the intent of cutting them up for spacers and such, then I had the thought of building a steampunk, flintlock, coach gun.  Now I'm starting tho think they might have value to a collector (more than the few $ I paid).  

So what does the collective wisdom think?  Am I risking the wrath of the universe if I mess with them?

Just asking

Geoff

Can you identify the shotgun they came from Geoff and what condition they are in, as that would be the place to start a value consideration. I am on a couple of forums that have very knowledgable members for this type of enquiery

They appear to be Parker from about 1923-24, so pre Remington.  There are some other marks, and I've joined a the Parker shotgun forum to see what I can find out.  29 7/8th inch barrel and it's either a 15 gauge (which seems unlikely) or a very worn (or over bored) 16 gauge.  The condition is fair, dirty and a couple of dents, the locking blocks are worn but would probably still work.  

Geoff

I'd say too pretty and cool to cut up.  Then again, they would be awesome in anything you make with them and add that special touch there.  

I picked up one with a simple twist pattern, went and did a ton of research on it, curious also to see if it could harden up at all (ended up testing that; nope, not really). Very little value so far as refurbishing or selling either, most folks say it's just a wall hanger. Unfortunately I didn't think to bookmark the research I did. I'm keeping mine for general fittings 

I thought the were 16ga, and got several people excited.  It turns out they are 12ga and not so cool.  At first I was thinking ferrules and other things (shotgun wedding rings :lol:).  Now I'm thinking that I could make a cut-n-shoot flinter coach gun, and maybe a side-by-side howdah pistol.  Not to shoot, really, though I guess you could sleeve them down to .500, but just for the fun of making them.

Geoff

• Haha 1

If I were you, I would ask Steve Culver about them. He is kind of an expert about this sort of thing.

Or, maybe you could split and flatten them out, and make san mai with them and a hardenable core!

I have a couple of damascus shotgun barrels I want to make into san mai blades. Am I right in thinking that they are silver brazed together, and I can just sweat them apart in a gas forge, split the individual barrels with a slitting disc on an angle grinder, and forge them flat?

They're usually just soft soldered.  Cool enough that they've been known to fall apart in a hot bluing tank.

• Like 1

Jake,  

a propane torch and a wedge are all you need to progressively lift out the soft-soldered ribs. Melt a bit, wedge apart, melt a bit more, slide the wedge , repeat. Once the ribs are out then you can repeat the technique for separating barrels from each other and the spacer blocks.

There should be videos on You-tube about re-soldering loose ribs, and as the first step is to remove the rib completely  . . .

cheers,

Tony