Sign in to follow this  
Lukas MG

Longsword and Bowie

Hi guys,

I recently moved my shop to a new and much better location. Here are the first two pieces I'm creating there. A(nother) XVIIIb longsword (these interestingly are the best sellers by far, I can't make them fast enough it seems, already have another order for one) and, a first for me, a Bowie knife. I've been wanting to make a Bowie for quite a while...

Hope you like where this is heading. Both blades are ready for heat treat.

IMG_20171031_152234.jpg

IMG_20171031_152515.jpg

• Like 4

Two of my favorite things, bowies and swords.  Like Alan said.

Nice so far.  It will be interesting to see them finished.

Doug

Looking good Lucas. Slightly concerned you may not have enough material thickness on the Bowie handle above and below the tang. It seems to get a bit close.

Edited by Charles du Preez

Agreed.  If that grid is 5mm, you may want to thin the height of the tang right behind the guard.  Otherwise, beautiful!

Thanks for watching out, guys, but it's no problem, the drawn on tang is a bit wider than it really is.

The guard is pretty much at final shape, what remains is making the inlet for the blade's shoulders and polishing. Maybe some decorative filework...

IMG_20171119_151841.jpg

Edited by Lukas MG
  • Like 1

Made good progress on the Bowie. Here it is with the blade heat treated and final ground, waiting for polishing and with the grip components roughly shaped (antler and wood topped off by a peen block at the end). Haven't yet decided if I want to put decorative layers (brass and/or black paper mayby?) between the components. The guard will probably be blackened, I might leave it with the texture from the file. This will be a user after all.

Really happy with how it is coming together!

IMG_20180311_145326.jpg

IMG_20180311_145559.jpg

Edited by Lukas MG

Here is the finished Bowie. It sports a 20,5cm (8“) blade, the overall length is 33,5cm (13“). It weighs 240g (0,5lbs). A substantial knife but compact enough be useful for bushcrafting chores or the like. In fact I intend to carry this knife when hunting. Not because it‘s really necessary but because I want to ;) And I do believe that it will come in handy.

In any case, this piece is intended to be a user. The blackened finish of the guard and peen block reflect this, as does the overall appereance of the knife. No unnecessary embellishment, no fancy materials. The design is not without elegance though, the shaping and the proportions are well thought out and carefully executed.

In hand, the knife feels substantial but quick, with a slight forward pull, inviting cutting or chopping motions. The PoB is right at the plunge cut. The tip tracks well despite the forward bias. Bowie knives are good fighting knives by design and this one is no exception. Because it will be mainly used for practical purposes and not as a fighter, I didn‘t fully sharpen the back edge. It is ground down to zero but I left it without the final honing. If I ever decide it needs a fully sharpened back edge, it will be a quick matter to do it. The front edge is hair shaving sharp along its entire length but the actual shape of the edge varies: the lower half which will be used for whittling, cutting soft materials, etc features a thinner, more acute edge whereas the upper half is ground to a stouter, more convex edge for chopping into tougher materials and to avoid edge damage upon contact with bone (to be expected with this piece‘s intented use).

Grip materials are antler and what I think is walnut (not entirely sure) with leather spacers.

I hope you like it, I certainly do.

IMG_20180320_170851.jpg

IMG_20180320_171233.jpg

IMG_20180320_171248.jpg

IMG_20180320_171322.jpg

• Like 4

Simple elegance. What’s not to like.

Great job, dude! Looks like you even got the plunge cut sanded out nicely. I always hate that part ;)

On 23.3.2018 at 8:23 AM, Collin Miller said:

Great job, dude! Looks like you even got the plunge cut sanded out nicely. I always hate that part ;)

Me too. One reason I prefer to make medieval stuff. Except for certain late period exceptions, there are no plunge cuts there  ;)

• Like 1