Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Blohm

Kydex without Thermoforming foam?

So after paying my bills for the month i had a little extra money for some kydex kits but im kinda short on getting the thermoforming foam. Has anyone made a press using a different foam with a ceramic fiber blanket as a heat barrier. I could probably come up with some more money but as of now im trying to figure it out without it. Any help would be appreciated.

Sometimes you can find stuff like seat cushions for tree stands at walmart made out of the stuff for cheap. I think some pads that horses stand on are made of the same stuff. Supply and demand I believe is at work with how expensive the foam is. I can't remember what the foam is called. I'll try to do some research later.

I think it's called neoprene foam it has lots of uses. I would just find something in the right thickness and price under that name.

I think I have a few of these laying around the house. I know I have the tree stand mat but that's being used in the tree stand at the the moment

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

well, some yoga mats are neoprene, others are not. You would have to double it up though. Kayak padding is i think...Cheap too. Go through walmart sometime. It's hard to tell what you might find that could work.

Screenshot_2017-11-19-13-01-25.png

Screenshot_2017-11-19-13-00-45.png

Edited by Zeb Camper

Some knee pads are made of it too. We have one at work. Probably better to check it out in person though. It's thick, but firm. You should be able to put the death grip on it and it will hold the shape of your finger for a second.

Screenshot_2017-11-19-13-13-40.png

Screenshot_2017-11-19-13-13-50.png

Thank you all for the responses i will look around for some of these items and give this kydex a shot.

20171124_163321.jpg20171124_163407.jpg20171124_163354.jpg20171124_163311.jpg

This is what i got at walmart today. Yoga blocks are $3 a piece and the ground cushion was $4.5 the yoga block is a lot stiffer than the cushion. We will see if they work. Will they hold up to 300°f.

My answer for a year+ old question.

I needed to make a sheath for a longer blade than my current foam press would handle. I ended up using a strip of 6" x 1.5" "eZ Flex" wrestling mat that was about 5ft long. Worked great. 

Where to get this 1.5" "eZ Flex" wrestling mat that was about 5ft long? Well I am also a wrestling coach so I got it with a newly ordered mat as a strap pad. So you could check with local high school or college wrestling teams. Or google a supplier as request a sample of mat