Jump to content
Warner Smith

Got my new anvil today

Recommended Posts

I got my Kanca 110 pound anvil today.  Boy is it going to be a BIG step up from pounding on a vise.  :)   I have to finish mounting it to the big Elm stump.  I'm excited.  I need to learn how to properly dress the anvil.  Anyone have any tips?  One of my dogs was checking it out, too.  

                              Warner

 

 

Kanca Anvil.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to tell you what I tell everyone with a "new" anvil.  It doesn't matter if it's new to you or brand new, like this one.  Do nothing to it.  Use it for a year.  If after that time there are things you really don't like, fix those things.  It's much harder to put metal on an anvil than it is to take it off.

Having said that, you may find something right away that doesn't work for you.  Fix what you have to, don't do ANYTHING you don't have to, even if someone tells you to.

Just my .02

 

Geoff

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome!!! You will notice the difference the first time you hammer hot steel on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Geoff Keyes said:

I'm going to tell you what I tell everyone with a "new" anvil.  It doesn't matter if it's new to you or brand new, like this one.  Do nothing to it.  Use it for a year.  If after that time there are things you really don't like, fix those things.  It's much harder to put metal on an anvil than it is to take it off.

Having said that, you may find something right away that doesn't work for you.  Fix what you have to, don't do ANYTHING you don't have to, even if someone tells you to.

Just my .02

 

Geoff

This is good advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To add to the above, you do need to make sure the corner of the hardy hole are radiused just a little bit.  If it's sharp-sharp it's easy to get tooling stuck in it, not to mention the risk of chipping.  Just break the corners a bit with a file.  Never use power tools on a new anvil.  Try not to use power tools on any anvil unless you're cleaning up a big chip or a mushroomed edge.  General blacksmiths tend to like a more rounded edge than we do. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Geoff Keyes said:

I'm going to tell you what I tell everyone with a "new" anvil.  It doesn't matter if it's new to you or brand new, like this one.  Do nothing to it.  Use it for a year.  If after that time there are things you really don't like, fix those things.  It's much harder to put metal on an anvil than it is to take it off.

Having said that, you may find something right away that doesn't work for you.  Fix what you have to, don't do ANYTHING you don't have to, even if someone tells you to.

Just my .02

 

Geoff

Funny you should say that Geoff......because after reading up a little bit last night, that's EXACTLY the conclusion that I came to.  Why would I make changes to something just to make changes, when I don't even yet understand what those changes mean to me.  I like your advice...and that's the conclusion that I came to as well.

                            Warner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Alan Longmire said:

To add to the above, you do need to make sure the corner of the hardy hole are radiused just a little bit.  If it's sharp-sharp it's easy to get tooling stuck in it, not to mention the risk of chipping.  Just break the corners a bit with a file.  Never use power tools on a new anvil.  Try not to use power tools on any anvil unless you're cleaning up a big chip or a mushroomed edge.  General blacksmiths tend to like a more rounded edge than we do. 

Will do that much, Alan.  Thanks guys......

                 Warner

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Awesome!!! You will notice the difference the first time you hammer hot steel on it.

I'm sure!   Hammering on a cast iron vise sucks the life out of my blows, I'm sure.  Not to mention it's about 4 feet off the ground.  :)

                 Warner

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Never use power tools on a new anvil.

Good advice here.

When I got my EuroAnvil new, I kept a fine file at hand. Occasionally, between heats, I would stroke a wee bit of radius on the edges... more on the front; less on the back. Just a couple strokes.

After about a year it fit me perfectly and I haven't touched it since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Warner Smith said:

I'm sure!   Hammering on a cast iron vise sucks the life out of my blows, I'm sure.  Not to mention it's about 4 feet off the ground.  :)

                 Warner

I started with a 40lb section of rail that wasn't mounted properly and was about 10 inches too low. With major lower back problems i was to the point of just quitting until i found this forum and found some things that Geoff Keyes was talking about how to use a rail properly and it helped a lot. Then a real good friend of mine gave me a mint condition 100lb vulcan that i absolutely love. Even though vulcans get a bad reputation if they are treated properly and not abused they are fully capable of lasting a very long time. As for the Kanca it is definitely a lifetime anvil.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

I started with a 40lb section of rail that wasn't mounted properly and was about 10 inches too low. With major lower back problems i was to the point of just quitting until i found this forum and found some things that Geoff Keyes was talking about how to use a rail properly and it helped a lot. Then a real good friend of mine gave me a mint condition 100lb vulcan that i absolutely love. Even though vulcans get a bad reputation if they are treated properly and not abused they are fully capable of lasting a very long time. As for the Kanca it is definitely a lifetime anvil.   

Oh yeah....after I got it bolted down,  I fired up the forge and heated one of the random pieces of steel that I've been messing with.  What a huge difference!

    Warner  

 

20171108_181904.jpg

20171108_181852.jpg

20171108_181858.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a couple months of using could you give us an update or short review on what you think of the anvil  and its features. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jeremy Blohm said:

After a couple months of using could you give us an update or short review on what you think of the anvil  and its features. 

I sure could.....but honestly, my opinion is not an educated one so I'm not sure how much value it would be to anyone.  I did do a fair amount of research and consideration before I went this route.  Used anvils, with my lack of experience, were scary....and EXPENSIVE.  So I went with a brand new, drop forged German style anvil.  Kanca does a LOT of the forging for many auto manufacturers, and if I'm not mistaken, they are also forging the Peddinghaus anvils now.  So it should be a high quality anvil.  The German style, with the bulk of its weight under the face of the anvil, should make it perform a little better than other 110 pound anvils for bladesmithing.  I like that it's drop forged, I like that it's new and of known condition.  And with Centaur forge's 10% off for a first time buyer, free shipping on anything under 150 pounds, and since they are just over the Wisconsin border from me, I didn't pay Wisconsin sales tax.  So it cost me $621 delivered.  I feel like it was the best option for me.

                              Warner

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im using the vulcan now and i have a 112lb mouse hole that is missing the heal and kinda beat up and a 175 lb vulcan that is really beat up but i am saving for a Nimba gladiator 450lb.:)

Edited by Jeremy Blohm
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2017 at 9:04 PM, Warner Smith said:

I sure could.....but honestly, my opinion is not an educated one so I'm not sure how much value it would be to anyone.  I did do a fair amount of research and consideration before I went this route.  Used anvils, with my lack of experience, were scary....and EXPENSIVE.  So I went with a brand new, drop forged German style anvil.  Kanca does a LOT of the forging for many auto manufacturers, and if I'm not mistaken, they are also forging the Peddinghaus anvils now.  So it should be a high quality anvil.  The German style, with the bulk of its weight under the face of the anvil, should make it perform a little better than other 110 pound anvils for bladesmithing.  I like that it's drop forged, I like that it's new and of known condition.  And with Centaur forge's 10% off for a first time buyer, free shipping on anything under 150 pounds, and since they are just over the Wisconsin border from me, I didn't pay Wisconsin sales tax.  So it cost me $621 delivered.  I feel like it was the best option for me.

                              Warner

After a couple months how are you liking this anvil? I have sold one of my vulcans and im getting ready to sell my mouse hole today and in about a month im ordering a brand new anvil and i would like to know what you think of this anvils performance and the customer service at centaur forge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you warner! I just cant make up my mind on what anvil i wanna buy. Im kinda being pulled a dozen different directions and im not sure which way i wanna go. Thank you for your response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...