Define a forged knife?

Hi Everybody

At what point can you call it a forged knife (blade)?

Example: I heat, flatten and anneal a piece of leaf spring.  From this I grind the blank and do the shaping and bevels with the belt grinder.

I view this as stock removal, what say you?

When I start with a ball bearing I have no doubts in the matter :D

My definition FWIW:

When the profiles and bevels are shaped by heat and hammering to within 1/8 inch of finished dimensions.

(insert measurement of your choice. Some people say 1/4 inch to allow for 1/8 in any direction)

Edited by Joshua States

You can't cut a tree down by hand, and call it hand sawn boards, so you can't forge a flat billet by hand and call it a hand forged knife.  Just how I see it. 

Edited by Zeb Camper
  • Like 1

Some excellent definitions and I agree wholeheartedly, thanks.

Fortunately not my place to educate the world, just checking my mind is in the right place. ;)

9 hours ago, Zeb Camper said:

You can't cut a tree down by hand, and call it hand sawn boards, so you can't forge a flat billet by hand and call it a hand forged knife.  Just how I see it. 

This is a slippery slope.  There are a lot of "Damascus" patterns that must ground into shape to see.  Ladder and twist being two popular ones.  Someone starting with 13 or 15 pieces of steel will have a lot more forging time in to make that 500 layer flat billet than someone who forges a mono-steel blade to shape.  (Assuming they have equal skill and equipment)

Personally, I think the original question is moot and divisive.  Pretty much every forged blade becomes s stock removal project before it is done.  I don't see why this forged vs ground rift exists.

• Like 2

Well Brian, that is a very valid point. Damascus shows a level of skill that is self explanitory on hotwork involved. I agree that there is stock removal involved in every project. But, this shouldn't become an excuse for people to flatten leaf springs, and call it a forged knife. It's just dishonest. I think the reason stock removal is frowned apon is because of people's nastalgic values. I remember a potential customer recently asking me "Is it forged...Or just cut and sharpened?" I think it's a totally bogus point myself. if done right, you can't tell the difference between forged and stock removal. But, forging sells knives. there are still tons of other ways to pitch a stock removal knife though. You still have tons of cool metallurgical practices to add to the "magical" factor. The tactical crowd doesn't really care which methods were used, as long as it looks clean, and is made from good steel. I have done some stock removal knives earlier on, and I sold them to that group of people. 

1 hour ago, Brian Dougherty said:

Personally, I think the original question is moot and divisive.  Pretty much every forged blade becomes s stock removal project before it is done.  I don't see why this forged vs ground rift exists.

I think it's marketing. "Forged" has a deep symbolic meaning in western culture as well as simply being a manner of production. It carries a mystique that "stock removal" or "ground on a machine" generally lack, and for the uneducated-about-blades masses, that can be enough to make them decide to buy one blade over another.

I can't quantify it by measurements or percentages completed. Hell if it looks like a knife when you are done forging it and you do some clean up and refinements by grinding, filing & sanding its fine by me. 

As far as a rift goes, I feel  there is the personification of an object that has been forged.  We feel it is a part of us, something that came through us, that does not come from only stock removal or running a CNC program. 

Edited by DBain
14 hours ago, Brian Dougherty said:

I do not think it is either moot or divisive. I also don't think there's any rift between makers who are confident in their own skill and who understand that everything, and I mean EVRERYTHING, comes down to heat treatment. It doesn't matter a fig whichever path you choose. Personally, I do both forged knives and purely stock removal blades. The latter form I reserve for my stainless steel blades. Some Damascus patterns I forge the billet and stock remove the rest, others I forge the billet to blade shape. It depends on a lot of factors.

It does help to have a consensus opinion of what "defines" a forged blade among the community of makers. Not that I think my definition is "the one" that everyone should adopt either. It's not even my definition, it was given to me by my mentor, and I stuck with it. Like Gary said (and I thought I implied) the exact dimensions are more of a guideline than a rule. The objective is to get as close to finished dimensions as possible.

I don't think this particular thread was intended to debate the merits of one over another. That debate I think I put to rest some time ago in another thread;) I encourage anyone to join that thread (and add reasons!)

Being divisive certainly wasn't  the intention, more so because I use both methods, and in my own example there's a forge and some hammering involved but that's just preparing the materials.

Might be a technicality, but I get the impression "hand made" is very easily substituted with "hand forged"

I don't think this particular thread was intended to debate the merits of one over another. That debate I think I put to rest some time ago in another thread;) I encourage anyone to join that thread (and add reasons!)

Thanks for pointing that thread out.