• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
ScottWright

Coal forge info

Hello everyone, come spring time, I'm hoping to build a lean-to on the outside of my garage and make that my new shop space. Right now I use a simple brick forge with a Reil burner. I plan on converting over to a freon tank shortly, which I plan on keeping but would really like to build a coal forge when I can move into this outside workspace. After reading and studying multiple different builds, I was wondering what style some of you here use with your coal forges. I plan on other general work which will require larger pieces so I'm looking to build something bigger than a rivet/brake drum style forge.

As always, thanks!

This is how I made mine. I can repost the first images but they are just ramblings anyway. It isn’t perfect I suppose but serves me well and might at least give you some ideas. Also remember no matter how much steel you can heat, you are limited in how much you can work in a heat so most often the hotspot doesn’t need to be very big. Good luck.

I use a commercial fire pot (Centaur Forge) set in a 2' x 3' steel plate tabletop.  Side draft hood feeding a 12" chimney 16 feet tall.

I use an old rim, you can find instructions online pretty easy. It’s basically the same as a brake drum forge. 

6 hours ago, Gerald Boggs said:

I use a box of dirt.

With a nifty water-cooled side blast tuyere.  Got any pics of it?  I know I took at least one, but I can't find it.

1 hour ago, Gerald Boggs said:

Let me look.  Here's a photo of a forge, but not the tuyere.  Box is 24 by 24

Picture 034.jpg

That is a nice work area.  I'm surprised to see your forge in the corner like that.  Do you ever find it limiting because you can't have a part hanging over both sides?  Would you put it there again if you had to do it all over?

Yes, I really like this setup. Everything is close and it's easy to keep tidy.  Not shown, there's a large table just outside the photo on the left.  All my layout and assembly is done there.  No, I don't find it limiting, mostly because I seldom do large work.  I have a portable forge and can always set up outside for the odd big job (not that I do them much)  I would do it again, this is my old forge in the garage.  When I built my shop, I again put the forge in the corner.  I did bring it out a bit, makes it easier to clean up all the coal that drops on the floor.

CBA has an article on making the tuyre and bosh tank

https://www.calsmith.org/Resources/Documents/technical_documents/techdocs_sideblastforge.pdf

• Like 1