• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Vincent B

grinding smell when wearing respirator

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if it's normal that I can still smell te grinding process of metal (with angle grinder mostly) when wearing a half face respirator with P3 dust filters?

Thanks!

Edited by Vincent B

I recently replaced the filters on mine, the shop assistant looking for a match made me realise there are options...

My original filters were for "biochemical gas", the replacements are marked for dust etc.......

I always wondered about smells, especially micarta getting through, figured maybe my beard was messing with the seal, but the incorrect filters were the big problem.

5 minutes ago, Gerhard said:

I recently replaced the filters on mine, the shop assistant looking for a match made me realise there are options...

My original filters were for "biochemical gas", the replacements are marked for dust etc.......

I always wondered about smells, especially micarta getting through, figured maybe my beard was messing with the seal, but the incorrect filters were the big problem.

Thanks for your reply, I fotgot to mention that I only use P3 dust filters on my mask.
Since you have the correct filters on your mask can you still smell anything or nothing at all?

Edited by Vincent B

Unless you're running charcoal filters you will get some smells coming through.  

Google tells me your P3 filter is most likely better than what I have.

Haven't worked with micarta since, but there's a marked difference when I blow my nose afterwards.........

I get some smells through my half-face respirator, but only very specific ones. If I light a match, I smell nothing but sulfur. It's fascinating.
But yeah, I still smell some of the grinder smell, though it's a very different smell from grinding with no respirator and I don't find myself blowing black snot later.

3 hours ago, Alan Longmire said:

Unless you're running charcoal filters you will get some smells coming through.  

Ok thanks, that's good to know, so the smell is not from the dust itself?
Are there still any respiratory dangers that come with this type of smell?
Am I better of using charcoal filters instead, or on top of dust filters?
Sorry for all the questions, I just want to get it right now and save myself trouble along the line!

9 minutes ago, Adam Betts said:

I get some smells through my half-face respirator, but only very specific ones. If I light a match, I smell nothing but sulfur. It's fascinating.
But yeah, I still smell some of the grinder smell, though it's a very different smell from grinding with no respirator and I don't find myself blowing black snot later.

Thanks for your reply, I agree that the smell is different than grinding without a mask.
I was a little worried that I might still be smelling and inhaling the dust itself.
I am relieved that you share the same experience!

Keeping in mind I am not a medical professional, I think you're okay with what you have.  The presence of a smell means a molecule of what produces the odor got in.  Molecules are much less of a threat than particulates, although one could argue a molecule is a type of particle.  In this case think of it as more of a gas than a solid particle.  

I have a $150 3m full face mask and i can still smell some of the grinding. I worked at a shop that had a down draft table like these

https://maxcleanair.com/collections/downdraft-tables

We didn't even need to wear masks but i still did. The owners son didn't though. I guess he trusted his life and health in a $10,000 table. 

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

We also did a lot of grinding on titanium and the dust from titanium is a lot more combustible than steel so they wanted the downdraft table because it sucked all the dust into a water basin under the table and has its own self contained dust collection system.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm