• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Jon Cook

New design

Hey, all. Got a new design in the works, figured I'd run it by y'all before I got too far. I'm working with a couple restrictions: I can get just under 3" of steel hot enough to austentize with my current equipment, my stock is fairly small, and I want few to no straight lines in the overall design.

Blade length is 2.75" with a total length of 6.25", and .75" tall at the widest point. 

My biggest concern is the blade/handle juncture, and how not to cut my finger open while using the thing. Right now, I'm assuming a narrow ricasso that follows the angle of the bolster. Anything else I should consider?

PSX_20171113_134757.jpg

I like it!

If you're concerned about cutting yourself I would forge the ricasso not so narrow. You could also make the bolster slightly thicker at the ricasso to prevent slippage. It would not break it's beautiful lines and make it safer to use.

I'll be honest. I don't much like the bolster's angle, or radius. If you contour the handle a bit it should keep your hand safe. A simple swell in the handle would help a lot. I have to ask, what is the primary function of this blade? 

Joel, this will be stock removal from .110" flat bar, if that helps. 

Zeb, I started with a green river nessmuk type by way of a spyderco leaf blade with a pm2 handle, but the lines didn't look right. I realized I was leaning towards a Fogg design at that point, and ended up with this. I'm imagining edc use with the ability to dress small game/ meal prep in a pinch. 

Straighten out the bolster, and add a short guard, maybe? It'll be getting lateral contouring. 

I’m liking the lines of it, i wouldent ad a guard as it would break the lines like Joel said. It looks like a mini kukri, which kukris do not have guards either and are used for a lot more forceful tasks. they do however have the contours in the handle.

i would not worry about slipping unless you plan on stabbing something or someone :P 

52 minutes ago, Jon Cook said:

Joel, this will be stock removal from .110" flat bar, if that helps. 

Zeb, I started with a green river nessmuk type by way of a spyderco leaf blade with a pm2 handle, but the lines didn't look right. I realized I was leaning towards a Fogg design at that point, and ended up with this. I'm imagining edc use with the ability to dress small game/ meal prep in a pinch. 

Straighten out the bolster, and add a short guard, maybe? It'll be getting lateral contouring. 

I assume you are going for a full flat grind? It's going to be scary sharp :ph34r:It's about the same thickness as my small hunter WIP but with a wider blade. 

Mason, a pocket sized kukri would be an odd duck, for sure. If I have time, I'll post a couple variants this afternoon.

Joel, definitely full flat. In my limited experience, it makes the most sense.