• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Marolt

Brass/bronze mokume finishing

Hey guys! It's been a very long time since I have posted in the forums.  I'm working on a textured brass/bronze mokume guard for a chef's knife.  I have it all textured and polished and I'm looking for some type of etch or finish that will keep the mokume bright but yet give it some more contrast.  I'm also looking for something to seal it with so it keeps the finish.  Something that would be fine to use around food. 

I'll post pictures of the guard once I can get to my computer.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matthew Marolt

Dan, 

Here are a few pictures.  It would have been wise to choose more contrasting materials but it's what I had.  I made it from shim stock.  It was my second attempt at making mokume and I think it came out fairly well.  Any ideas on how to seal it?

Thanks,

Matt M.

20171115_180506.jpg

Screenshot_20171115-173705.png

1 hour ago, Matthew Marolt said:

Any ideas on how to seal it?

Renaissance Wax, that is what the museums use!! Wax paste polish, Renaissance, micro-crystalline, clear.Doesn't really seal it but, it will coat is heavy enough to give a wear surface and can be re-coated later!!

Edited by C Craft

I have yet to find a sealer that works well enough for jewelry, as I made my girlfriend (now wife) a pendant a couple years ago.  Haven't tried anything actually from a jewelry supply place yet though.  

Jeweler's laquer is about the only thing that will work in that application, and even it is not permanent if subjected to a lot of wear.

Just thinking out loud (I really have no idea). Would coating it in clear resin work? You sand it in successive finer grits ending with brass polish then toothpaste. Used to do that with model airplane canopies. the divots might have to remained filled in clear epoxy though.