• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Kyle Miller

Question about 51670 steel

New into blade smithing but I work at a machine shop as a welder, and I come across many types of steel some stainless, econel, many mild steels and 51670 which I've looked up and it's carbon steel well higher carbon than some of the other steel we work with. My question is can it be used as a blade steel has anyone tried it before? Or is the carbon content to low and unable to get the hardness for a good blade? Maybe I could use it for other tools or what have you. 

This is not what I consider to be a high carbon steel.  You need about .50 C to get steel to harden.  You can get some increased toughness, but not what I would think of as a knife steel.  516 gr 70 (not 51670) is typically .10 to .22 C, plus .3 Cu, which gives me some pause.

5160 is a knife steel, and a commonly used one, which might be causing you some confusion.  In general we (that is a inclusive "we") think of 10xx steels (1080, 1095, 1075, 1060) as simple carbon steels appropriate for knives, 5160 (spring steel), O1, W1, W2 as other "simple" steels.

Geoff