Jlinner

Burner Placement

1 hour ago, Jlinner said:

Hey guys,

How far is the burner pipe going into your forge? Are you ending the at the wool or the cement? Do I need a flare on the end of the pipe?

Anyone have any pics from inside their forge I can see?

Hi everyone,  new to the forum and to blacksmithing..I haven't even built my forge yet.. work in progress.. it's my understanding that the burner does not penetrate fully into the forge chamber.. mine will just barely penetrate the walls of the forge.. the larger hole upon exit from the burner circulates the gas and provides proper combustion.. beyond that the pressure of your gas and the amount of air are very important aspects.. in a lot of videos I've watched you can light the burner before you put then/ it in the fridge and see how your air adjustment works.. I've read the whole thread but I'm not sure what your dealing with as it sounds like you've started over.. if you don't have the flare I've seen forges where they used the wool and refractory cement as the flare instead of an actual flare

Edited by Leroy Hill
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jlinner said:

Hey guys,

How far is the burner pipe going into your forge? Are you ending the at the wool or the cement? Do I need a flare on the end of the pipe?

Anyone have any pics from inside their forge I can see?

My pipe is welded to the outside of my forge shell, with a flare formed with refractory cement from there.  

Edited by Jerrod Miller
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2018 at 7:35 PM, Jerrod Miller said:

My pipe is welded to the outside of my forge shell, with a flare formed with refractory cement from there.  

Is it flush mounted or does the pipe stick inside the forge at all?

20 minutes ago, Jlinner said:

Is it flush mounted or does the pipe stick inside the forge at all?

I have a pipe fitting (coupler) welded to the outside of the body and the pipe just threads in.  The refractory cement forms 100% of the flare.  

Alright fellas, I'm back... lol

Starting a new vertical forge and a new hydraulic press are in the works for fall/winter 2019.

• Like 1