Platen(sp?) cutting Q?

I have ALOT of spare time at work.....and earlier today on facebook someone put up a pic of their 2x42 grinder similar to mine....different brand.

Someone suggested he cut the sides of it......or maybe I assumed it was the sides. I better go recheck.

The edges of my platen are rounded....should I cut em square. It isnt even parallel to the belt.

My plunge lines arent symmetrical because of that. I was gonna try and shim it square before I grind my next blade....but if it needs cut I will just cut it square.

I have a 2x42 craftsman. All I did was jb weld a hardened peace of 2” 1080 steel on top of the old platen... it’s likely the platen on yours is mild steel, so you would need to eventually upgrade it to a hardenable steel anyway. 

If you want to keep it with the original platen, then it really depends on how rounded the edges are. slightly round edges will give you a nice rounded plunge line, although I prefer square edges then use a flex belt to round the plunges.

10 minutes ago, Mason Simonet said:

I have a 2x42 craftsman. All I did was jb weld a hardened peace of 2” 1080 steel on top of the old platen... it’s likely the platen on yours is mild steel, so you would need to eventually upgrade it to a hardenable steel anyway. 

If you want to keep it with the original platen, then it really depends on how rounded the edges are. slightly round edges will give you a nice rounded plunge line, although I prefer square edges then use a flex belt to round the plunges.

I like that plan....thanks. Sounds MUCH easier than cutting the existing one...and I can get it parallel to the belt.

17 hours ago, Mason Simonet said:

I had the same issue with the platen on my Kalmazoo 2x72, and I did similar to this to fix it.  I used a pair of 1" platens from my 1x30 machines. Worked out great.

19 hours ago, Mason Simonet said:

I have a 2x42 craftsman. All I did was jb weld a hardened peace of 2” 1080 steel on top of the old platen...

I have that same grinder and one of the videos on practical upgrades for that grinder recommended using a 2" wide bit of smooth ceramic tile.  In this end it does that same thing.