• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  

There must be something said about some television programs being good for bladesmiths.  I recently got a commission for a sword.  I know some of you are familiar with Game of Thrones.  I had a lady wanting a sword as a Christmas present for her husband (he's a big fan of GOT).  Turns out his favorite character is Jon Snow.  Immediately, I had to some research as I'm not into GOT (couldn't get into it).  Anyways, she wants this sword to be an actual sword, not just a wall hanger but she also said it doesn't have to be an exact replica.  I decided to try and stay as close to Longclaw as possible with a few minor changes.  So, this build started out with a length of leaf spring stock.  The spring was straightened and then forged to shape.  After that, the fun of grinding started.  I kept the blade kind of robust for the heat treating.  After the successful heat treating, the fullers were ground in then the rest of the cleanup.  I then started on the hilt which is mild steel. The handle will be leather wrapped wood, and the wolf's head pommel will be cast from pewter.  In the pictures below shows the progress so far.  The shiny picture is what is done as of today.

lc 1.JPG

PB170011.JPG

• Like 2

Woohoo. I am a fan of GoT. Looking forward to this one. Please keep the photos coming.

25 minutes ago, Charles du Preez said:

Woohoo. I am a fan of GoT. Looking forward to this one. Please keep the photos coming.

As more progress is made, I will.

After a few touch-ups on the hilt, I made the collar spacer and the wood handle core.  The handle is made from ash and will be leather wrapped.  Now, I have a good idea on the size of the pommel, so I can now work on the mold form for casting.

PB210012.JPG

• Like 2

I hope you do a better job on the wolf's head than the original. I guarantee whomever made it wasn't 100% satisfied. Looks really good so far! 

Looking good R.W. My wife and I have watched all of GOT (except the last season, as we have to wait for it to come out on video). 

What are the dimensions?

18 hours ago, Joshua States said:

Looking good R.W. My wife and I have watched all of GOT (except the last season, as we have to wait for it to come out on video). 

What are the dimensions?

The blade is 38" long with a width of 2 1/4" at the hilt.  The overall length is about 45".

Okay everyone, here's an update on the progress.  I finally got the pommel back from casting.  Now, time for the engraving work.  I had to forge my own tools for this, but it didn't take much time at all.  I still have to layout a few more lines and the teeth, but things are going rather well.  The finish is in view on this project.

PC060017.JPG

PC060019.JPG

• Like 3

Out of curiosity, why not just put that detail into the casting itself? (unless you are sand casting, in which you can ignore the question)

1 hour ago, Dan Bourlotos said:

Out of curiosity, why not just put that detail into the casting itself? (unless you are sand casting, in which you can ignore the question)

The way this was cast was with sand casting techniques, otherwise, I would have rather had all the detail in the pattern.

Yes indeed this is going well!

And the moment everyone has been waiting for... Longclaw is finished.  Reflecting back on this whole process, granted there have been some frustration (and what good project does have at least an ounce), but the journey has been well worth it.  To be honest, I am so pleased with how this came out, I am humbled.  

Now, the specifics; the blade was forged from a leaf spring blank, the hilt and handle spacer are mild steel, the handle core is ash wrapped in black leather, and the pommel is cast and sculpted pewter with set rubies for the eyes.  I could not have done this project without the help of a very close friend, Matt Maund.  He has been instrumental will the leather, but mostly with casting the pommel and setting the rubies.

The blade is 34" long and 2 1/4" wide at the hilt.  The point of balance is about 4 1/2" from the hilt up the blade.  The overall length is 45 1/4" and the handle itself is 5 1/2" long.  The quillions are about three inches from the blade edge.  

lc finished 1.JPG

lc finished p.JPG

• Like 2

Very nice. Just about a spot-on match to the prop sword. Lord Snow would be proud!

7 minutes ago, Jason McEntee said:

Very nice. Just about a spot-on match to the prop sword. Lord Snow would be proud!

Thank you.  I tried to get close to his, but with a few minor artistic choices.

47 minutes ago, Charles du Preez said:

Thanks for showing this RW. It turned out well. Congrats.

You're welcome, and thank you, Charles.

6 hours ago, R.W. Deavers said:

And the moment everyone has been waiting for... Longclaw is finished.  Reflecting back on this whole process, granted there have been some frustration (and what good project does have at least an ounce), but the journey has been well worth it.  To be honest, I am so pleased with how this came out, I am humbled.  

Now, the specifics; the blade was forged from a leaf spring blank, the hilt and handle spacer are mild steel, the handle core is ash wrapped in black leather, and the pommel is cast and sculpted pewter with set rubies for the eyes.  I could not have done this project without the help of a very close friend, Matt Maund.  He has been instrumental will the leather, but mostly with casting the pommel and setting the rubies.

The blade is 34" long and 2 1/4" wide at the hilt.  The point of balance is about 4 1/2" from the hilt up the blade.  The overall length is 45 1/4" and the handle itself is 5 1/2" long.  The quillions are about three inches from the blade edge.  

lc finished 1.JPG

lc finished p.JPGVery nice work on this one!!! I have been looking at this head on the sword and it finally came to what it reminded  me of. The cane from the old original Dark Shadows TV show from about 1968 -1971!Image result for the cane from dark sha

"BARNABAS LIVES""