• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Gerald Boggs

ABANA Conference 2018, Richmond, Virginia

Here's my plug for the ABANA conference next year in Richmond, Virginia. My involvement will be in the Teaching Tent. Taken from ABANA's page:

“ Teaching Tent

Mark Aspery, Gerald Franklin, Darryl Nelson, John McLellan and Gerald Boggs will be leading the Teaching Tent with an expanded format that will give more attendees the opportunity to participate in this well-received program.

The teaching tent will be dedicated to teaching the basics of blacksmithing, from Forge Welding, Tool Making (and heat treatment) to Punching and Drifting. There are a number of “Take Home” projects that will also appeal to the novice/intermediate smith, with Darryl Nelson leading a Bear’s Head workshop and Gerald Boggs leading a an Axe workshop. The workshops are arranged in 3 or 4 hour blocks with staggered starts, beginning at 8am and ending at 5pm.

Competitions will be organized, for all levels, in the evenings 7-9pm – with a demonstration of the project before each start.

Each lesson starts with a one hour demo in the demo area. These demos will run for the first two hours of the morning and afternoon. Opening night will feature a short, fast paced, demo of 30 to 45 minutes from each instructor.” 

Things are still being worked out, but the last two conferences, we've had 20 forging stations in the tent and a separate demo tent. 

Photo of a style of Tomahawk I'll might be starting with, still working out the details. Along with Tomahawks, I'll be forging a Trade axe and maybe (time permitted) a belt axe. My approach will be that of a blacksmith/tool maker.

Picture 566 Large Web view.jpg

Edited by Gerald Boggs