Sign in to follow this  
Dave Stephens

Therapy Dagger: A little PW Dagger

Hi All:

Here's a little dagger I just finished.  I recently had some pretty heavy stuff go down in my life, so I started thinking of this as my "therapy dagger," while I was working on it to keep my mind occupied with positive things.

The blade is from an end cut of a composite blade I made a while ago. It has 1200 layer edges, and a 20 layer center bar, rotated 90 degrees.  On the original PW blade the center bar was twisted.  This was the end of the bar.  You can see how the center bar fanned out toward the tip.  Kind of a cool effect, I think.

Standard 1095/15n20 mix. Copper fittings, chemical patina for the dark bits, blackwood grip. It's about 7" OAL.

Hope all is well with everyone! Happy Holidays!

Dave

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_0887.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

• Like 3

Sometimes it is a very good thing to have a shop to retreat to and tune out the world for a while.  And you made great use of the time, that's a sweet piece!  The blade collar in particular is neato.

That is a beautiful dagger!  I am always happy to see the things you post Dave; its always a treat.  I hope the dagger provided the therapy you needed.

Very nice work, Dave. I hope your struggles are fading. The little habaki/collar thing is neato indeed. I would wager the shape of it was inspired by swords from bronze age Europe? I seem to recall some bronze swords with a very similarly shaped bolster/collar/guard thingy. The whole dagger looks like it has strong influences of Don Fogg, which is always a good thing.

Nice one, Dave!  The flow of the pattern suits the blade shape particularly well, and the handle shape and carving is just right; neither too much nor too little.  Hope it helped lift some weight for you.

That's a very top-notch piece of work sir. I very much like the way the whatever you call that piece at the base of the blade (habaki?) follows the fuller so precisely. Ditto what Alan said about the carving. I love that way it looks like there is a wrap around another material. Seriously a great design choice.

Why is it that the achievements completed during times of adversity always seem sweeter than those accomplished during less stressful times? Stay strong, stay sharp, push through, emerge on the other side. Peace to you and your family.

Love that copper; I am always inspired by your work. Hope you get into smoother waters soon.

Truly awesome work Dave. You have captured the pain and transformed it into art. The dark has become light and the world is a better place for it.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the kind words.

Now I'm back to working on that huge PW sword I'm doing with Petr. The contrast of going from working on a 3.5" blade to a 48" sword that's 6" wide at the base is pretty dramatic. My shoulders hurt just from using the 7" disc grinder to knock all the scale off of it yesterday.  

Cheers!

Dave

"Losing yourself in your work" is a good thing sometimes. When you end up with something beautiful, as you did, to show for it then it is much more positive than other coping mechanisms, even the "non-harmful" ones that accomplish nothing. Postive results are better than negative or even neutral. Forward is the direction.

Dave that little guys awesome!

If you dont mind sharing, how did you get such clean little lines on your fittings... I find it really difficult keeping things small and straight on odd shapes but love the look

On 11/25/2017 at 5:26 AM, MLenaghan said:

Dave that little guys awesome!

If you dont mind sharing, how did you get such clean little lines on your fittings... I find it really difficult keeping things small and straight on odd shapes but love the look

Michael,

Sorry it took me so long to see this and respond.

The "clean little lines" are actually quite easy if you use my "hack."  Here's a photo that should explain it.  Shhh. Don't tell anyone. I want everyone to think that I have the steady filing hands of Peter "The Human CNC Machine" Johnsson. (;

Luck!

Dave

cutting lines.jpg

Whoa, I got behind on the forum around turkey day, and almost missed this one.  I'm glad I got caught up, as that is a sweet dagger Dave.  It's always exciting to see your work, and I hope things are on the upswing for you now.