IMPORTANT Registration rules Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Joshua States

First try, need advice

So I'm trying a little knot work on a piece of rock maple (fiddleback). First mistake was thinking that a purely geometric design would be an easier task than something else......something I have yet to think of anyway. I'm having a heck of a time with this though and could use some suggestions. Am I not going deep enough? Is the line too thin? Before I totally destroy this piece of wood, are there any suggestions on what direction to take?

The pattern is the same on both sides and interlocks on the spine and belly sides.

DSCN3954.JPG

DSCN3955.JPG

35 minutes ago, DanM said:

Been there, done that. Been here too. These are examples of larger images, not similar to what I am trying to create. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Edited by Joshua States

I think it looks pretty good that shallow actually.  If your looking to do more sculpting like round off the corners - then yes, you will need a little more depth so that the carving still pops with the roundness.

The last few carving I did (which was years ago) I first did them in a piece of poplar - got it to a point I liked it, then transferred it to the better material.   You can't put wood back, so going to far can really muck up your work and you can't go back, you have to restart.

That wood is probably a bear to carve but will look stunning in the end.

Another option is to create a gradient between your knot work and the background, either by texturing the back ground with a diamond or carbide burr or stippleing with a wood burner. That would make your foreground carving stand out all the more. 

Edited by Jonathan Silas