Guard stock size?

I'm curious, what size A36 or stainless stock do you typically get for making guards for hidden tang knives between 4" and 10" blade length? 

I am really tempted to say "it's part of personal style and the flow of the knife.

As an example, one of the iconic and most copied knives ever is the Marbles "Woodcraft" has a very thin small guard-all the guard it needs.

My answer would be to sketch out your idea, include what you think looks right, measure it and add 10% or the next larger size the supplier offers to give yourself a margin of error. Hidden tangs offer the opportunity to "sculpt" the guard in a personal style.

20171125_184338.jpg

I suppose what I'm really asking is what size(s) do most people keep on hand for their knives? I don't want to order one piece of stock for each blade, rather I'm trying to figure out what to order so I have an inventory of steel suitable for most knives. 

1 hour ago, jheinen said:

I suppose what I'm really asking is what size(s) do most people keep on hand for their knives? I don't want to order one piece of stock for each blade, rather I'm trying to figure out what to order so I have an inventory of steel suitable for most knives. 

I keep 1/8",  3/16" and 1/4" on hand for most fittings, be it guards, spacers or frames.  As for guards, these three sizes cover everything I do from thin separate guards to fat sculpted ones. I typically buy 6" x 12" sheets if I can find them. If not, I'll get 2 inch wide bars in the various thicknesses.

IMG_20161125_121726_613.jpg

Round 2.JPG

Edited by Joshua States
  • Like 1