Alveprins

Power hammer problem - Hammer keeps falling...

On 15.12.2017 at 8:59 PM, MorganCarlisle said:

Hey folks. long time lurker, first post. I wanted to register on here and tell a similar experience that I hope helps.  A lot of the china made self-contained hammers call for SAE 30 wt oil, and when I got my Anyang I powered it up with that.  After a few days I was having this same issue.  At the time I discussed it with my father (machinist) and we came to the conclusion that it was too thick for the temp of our shop.  I drained the 30 wt. and refilled with Air tool oil which is just ISO 32 rebranded. I cranked the oilers up and ran the hammer hard for a hour with some test steel and it hasn't had the issue since. I don't know what oil your using but before a tear down if the rings, wipers, and cylinders looked OK if your not using a thin oil I would give it a try.

-Morgan

Thanks man!

Actually - I am using SAE-30 lawn mower oil. I have been using it since I got the hammer - and it has not been a problem either during summer or winter.

I have noted though - that the hammer is a bit slow when I initially start it at like +7 degrees celcius, however as soon as it is warmed up - it runs just like normal.

When I had the incident with the hammer sliding out on it's own, the hammer was allready warm. It had actually been idling for like 15 minutes, and then used for 30 - 40 minutes - so the cast iron body was warm to the touch for sure...

About the ISO 32 oil... what does that translate to in terms of SAE?
EDIT: Ah, chart says 10W ? - is that right? Soo - maybe 10W30 oil would be ok? 10W30 mineral oil, or half synthetic... outboard boat engine oil or something along those lines? It is what I see available at shops near me...

Edited by Alveprins

I am curious to see how this works out. One of these type power hammers may be my best chance if I decide to go down that road.

ISO 32 is basically Hydraulic oil at a 10 weight. A 5 gallon pail isn't hateful in price (where I am) and if you oil like I do, will eventually run through it. If you have a vehicle parts store, or agricultural store they should be able to source it.  10w30 motor oil will have detergents in it which you don't want so I would try to find a straight 10 weight oil.  The stuff I am using now because I have not run out of it is Sta-Lube air tool oil. I treat my hammer like a Harley or a Jeep, if its not leaking its out of oil. James Johnson of Anyang runs 10wt in his hammers now.  My hammer even warm was half stroking with the 30 weight.  Don't get me wrong, something may be messed up inside your hammer, but my technique for diagnosis is always cheapest easiest first. 

How much dose a hammer like this cost? Not trying to be nosey. Please don't feel obligated to answer the question!

I tried looking them up and found prices all over the board that's why i ask.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

ive been recommending ISO 32 hydraulic oil for 10 years. Anything heavier and they snot up, especially the 15 kg machines. 

A 'non brand' hammer direct from China will cost you approx 50% of an anyang from a dealer, (once you have copped for all the import / logistics costs etc) the rub is that they are really badly made, the factory support is shocking, and they will have issues, not if, when. Then you are basically into guess work, or relying on internet help from well meaning folks who are shooting in the dark. (or the odd anyang dealer / bladesmithing hammer engineer who is a bit bored, and slightly intrigued by how many corners can be cut making a hammer shaped object :) ) 

• Like 1

I think if i buy a hammer its going to be a big blu. They seem very simple and i have plenty of air supply and they are here in the US. No importing and good service.

John your also the Anyang Dealer for the UK right?  My hammer is a 15kg, so it makes even more sense now hearing that from you. The best advice Jeremy for anyone looking to buy a power hammer is run a few different makes and models and then make a decision.  Always run what you plan on buying. Advertised weight can be deceiving depending on the style of hammer, and condition.

• Like 1

Im not trying to hyjack the thread i have been following this for a while. And it seems thia has been going for a bit. I was curious as to what kind of customer service is offered with a hammer like this. I have never heard the name before and it just got me thinking of what kind of pain it would be to communicate with this maker?

On 12/19/2017 at 12:09 AM, Jeremy Blohm said:

Im not trying to hyjack the thread i have been following this for a while. And it seems thia has been going for a bit. I was curious as to what kind of customer service is offered with a hammer like this. I have never heard the name before and it just got me thinking of what kind of pain it would be to communicate with this maker?

Not really that much pain. The international "representatives" who you will be communicating with concerning issues with the hammer are to my experience relatively well versed in English, or at the very least the type of English needed for their specific task. They will talk to the factory workers etc. and translate your problems - and solutions.

If you use the Chinese chat app "WeChat" all of those guys use it... Easy to transfer audio, video and images... as well as good old traditional text. :)

• Thanks 1

UPDATE: Problem solved. the 10W oil did the trick! It now runs even better than before. :D

• Like 3

Thanks for the update.

Too often folks don't come back and report on what solved a problem. Now we all have a bit of knowledge to add to our brain files and it is here for people to find.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Alveprins said:

:D

When these are shipped to you do you have to pick it up from port or is it delivered to your door?

On 3/31/2018 at 2:13 AM, Jeremy Blohm said:

When these are shipped to you do you have to pick it up from port or is it delivered to your door?

Depends on what kind of shipping options you have available in your country.

In my case, Norway - the hammer was first shipped to a port - in my case Oslo.

Shortly before arrival I contacted a shipping company in my own country that does heavy transport, and arranged for them to pick it up at the harbor and ship it to my home address on a big truck. They needed some information about the boat, and the cargo destined for me (Bill of Lading) - and they took care of the rest from there. I believe they even handled the customs stuff as well with import taxes etc.

So, you have two choices. Pick it up at the port yourself. Which involves doing all the paperwork with regards to import tax etc. yourself.

Or, get a national freight company to do it for you.

But when communicating with the foreign seller of the machine, all you will talk about it which port to ship it to. After that they will send you a sea waybill / Bill of Lading of some sort, usually called a "Telex release" or "Express Release". For some countries an "Original Bill of Lading" might be required, in which case they will have to send you the original documents in the mail. But in these modern times, it seems that it is most common to receive a so called "Telex Release" in the form of a PDF file by way of e-mail.

The national freight company will ask you for this Bill of Lading, and they will use it when getting the item you've purchased released to them from the boat - and through customs and such...

I have no idea how this works in other countries than my own though, but I wouldn't' be surprised if it is relatively similar.

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much this is exactly what i was looking for. I looked and looked online for this information and found nothing.

• Like 1