Alan Longmire

Back in the game

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 5:58 AM, Alan Longmire said:

Dunlap Woodcrafts out of Virginia.

Strange website. No photos and they say they offer knife handle blanks, but no info on what or how much they cost.......

Lots of wood choices though. I would be nice to see some representative pictures.

Unfortunately, they don't have pictures.  It's a small family-run company, and Wayne the owner didn't even want to have a website.  Your best bet is to call the warehouse using the number from the site.  That will get you Daniel Miranda, the lone employee.  Tell him what you're after and trust him, that's about all you can do.  Wayne is fun to talk with, but he's really good at talking you into buying something you didn't call to ask for, like the time he talked me into a pair of handles made from European yellow ash from somebody's yard in Fairfax.  Or the curly  American Chestnut handle from a log that had been lying in a sheltered spot for at least 75 years.  I've bought hundreds of handles from them over the years, and only one was nonusable due to a little crack at the top.  Wayne sent me a free replacement with the next order with only my word there was a bad handle.  He didn't want a picture or the handle back.  Told me to use it for firewood, in fact.  They're happy to work with you on custom stuff as well.  I had an order once for a hawk with a 24" handle in presentation-grade curly ash.  Wayne's 5-axis pantograph router-lathe thingy only does 19.5" handles.  He sent me a 26" long 3x3 of the nicest ash I'd ever seen, with a uniform tight curl at around 7 curls per inch, with a 1/4" hole already drilled down the dead center.  For $20.  

So yes, it's too bad they don't have a "buy the one you see here" option, but they're good people.  

Oh, and the handle profile on the premade blanks is a match to the hawk drift sold by Norm Wendell's Iron Mountain.  The drift from Blacksmith's Depot, etc. is a copy made by using one of Norm's as the pattern, then sand-casting with a coarser grade of sand.  So you get the shrinkage AND a rougher surface.

Good to see your work again!  The browning really does make the inlay stand out.  The knife is pretty cool too.

good to see you back at it Alan, very satisfying looking couple of pieces of work :) - hope you and yours are keeping well. 

On 12/3/2017 at 12:23 PM, Alan Longmire said:

Unfortunately, they don't have pictures.  It's a small family-run company, and Wayne the owner didn't even want to have a website.  Your best bet is to call the warehouse using the number from the site.  That will get you Daniel Miranda, the lone employee.  Tell him what you're after and trust him, that's about all you can do.  Wayne is fun to talk with, but he's really good at talking you into buying something you didn't call to ask for, like the time he talked me into a pair of handles made from European yellow ash from somebody's yard in Fairfax.  Or the curly  American Chestnut handle from a log that had been lying in a sheltered spot for at least 75 years.  I've bought hundreds of handles from them over the years, and only one was nonusable due to a little crack at the top.  Wayne sent me a free replacement with the next order with only my word there was a bad handle.  He didn't want a picture or the handle back.  Told me to use it for firewood, in fact.  They're happy to work with you on custom stuff as well.  I had an order once for a hawk with a 24" handle in presentation-grade curly ash.  Wayne's 5-axis pantograph router-lathe thingy only does 19.5" handles.  He sent me a 26" long 3x3 of the nicest ash I'd ever seen, with a uniform tight curl at around 7 curls per inch, with a 1/4" hole already drilled down the dead center.  For $20.  

So yes, it's too bad they don't have a "buy the one you see here" option, but they're good people.  

Oh, and the handle profile on the premade blanks is a match to the hawk drift sold by Norm Wendell's Iron Mountain.  The drift from Blacksmith's Depot, etc. is a copy made by using one of Norm's as the pattern, then sand-casting with a coarser grade of sand.  So you get the shrinkage AND a rougher surface.

Alan when you first told me who, it did not click but I have bought muzzleloader blanks from them and I think it is Daniel, (I have the name wrote down somewhere) but, you are right you have to trust them but never had them do me wrong on a muzzleloader blank. Daniel (if that is the one) sold me a blank as a cheaper grade and told me that unless he missed his guess it was gonna be close to one of the best. He didn't miss his guess i was well pleased with it!!

1 hour ago, John N said:

good to see you back at it Alan, very satisfying looking couple of pieces of work :) - hope you and yours are keeping well. 

Very well indeed, sir!  Hope the same goes for you.  And just wait til you see what's next, assuming it survives the quench and making the fittings doesn't drive me more nuts than I already am...;)

Alan, I missed this before. Welcome back!

For what it's worth, I live about 15 minutes from Dunlap, and if someone wants something specific that needs eyes-on before buying, I can be bribed/cajoled/asked to make a trip over there.

Beautiful work, Alan, just the kind of thing I have been hoping you'd make one of these days after you got rid of the production work.