Sign in to follow this  
MikeDT

Cheap Sword Quench Tank!

I spent months looking for a good quench tank for swords that wouldn't break the bank.  All of the scrap yards in my area had no pipe, tube, or other workable stuff.  A week ago, I came across a used military surplus ammo tube (U.S. Military Surplus Powder Can, Used) at Sportsman's Guide for a whopping $14.99!  Unscrew the bottom bolt and pull out the inner support structure.  I put some JB weld on the bolt (that has an o-ring on it) screw back in, ran some more JB weld down the side seam (just in case) and for less than $20 I've got a great quench tank that even has an outer bracket to screw the tank to a support frame if I want to.  It is about 45" high and an inner diameter of just under 7".  Thought I would share.  It is on clearance, don't know how many they have left.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-surplus-powder-can-used?a=2087212

ammo tube.jpg

• Like 2

Just got to think out of the box!!! When looking for pipe go to your local welders and tell them you are looking for a 6" or whatever you want pipe drop!

Pipe drop is the name given to the left over from a job. I have bought several from different welding shops.

You do want to specify the range of what you are looking for  though! Pulled up one place and asked them if he had any pipe drops. Sure he takes me out to his yard and I am looking at a 36" pipe and another about 2' drop. Holy cow man what did them come off of?? We do a lot of these signs,  advertisers signs. Like  these!!!Image result for billboard signs along interstateThanks I did say pipe drops but I am looking for something about 6" - 10" in diameter for my needs!! :unsure:

Dude, awesome! I've been trying to figure out how the hell I'm going to heat treat this sword I'm working on, and this just solved the quench tank problem!

C Craft: Never thought about going to local welders - I'll keep that in mind in the future, thanks.

Adam, glad I could help.

This forum has been such a wealth of help and support from so many talented people, I am finally glad I could add one small thing back to the community.

Just an FYI, I checked the link, and they were on clearance for less than $4.  I thought for that much I can use one for something so I went to see how much shipping was, and found out it would be $10 to get to me. 

So while I was contemplating if I wanted to spend $14 on a cool looking steel tube, I thought I would see what shipping would be for 2 of them.  For whatever reason, the shipping dropped to $6, so now I have 2 of them heading my way for a whopping $14!

If I hadn't bought five feet of 6" pipe last year I'd be all over that!

Thanks for the tip, I got a couple on the way !

8 bucks and that includes shipping.  I just ordered one.  Thanks for that!!

For those of you who wind up getting one, here is what I did with the bottom.  I removed the bottom base plate (with welded nut) from the inner support structure and cut off the two side tabs, leaving about 3 inches for each. Next I cut a piece of 6" pressure treated I had laying around and bent the brackets over the board (to protect the bottom from inadvertently dropped blades).  I put JB Weld in the nut that is welded to the base plate, slid the whole thing down to the bottom of the tank, used a 4x4 post inside the tube to keep the base plate at the bottom as I flipped the tube upside down.  With minor fiddling, I screwed the bolt in tight after smearing more JB Weld on it.  I thought about just closing up the bottom bolt hole with a small piece of steel that was covered in epoxy and leaving the wooden plate and side bars as they are in the second picture so I could attach two wires to the uprights so if I ever drop a smaller blade, I can just lift up the entire bottom board to make retrieval easier..... we'll see if I chose poorly.

bolt.jpgbase 1.jpgbase plate.jpg

That is AWESOME! Just bought 3 of them, myself!

For a horizontal sword quench tank as in Japanese style quenching, I use an old oxygen tank with a slot cut in it. When not in use, it can be stored vertically to save space.

Sold out.....