Completed "Bowie No.1"

Gary Mulkey

Completed and just in time as tomorrow I promised to  have it at  the  museum.  For those who  followed me through the process on this one, I  hope  that you enjoyed it.  Maybe it will give you an idea of what the 19th century masters went through on their knives.  [BTW:  The gentleman on the right in the photo is James Black.]

IMG_6737_opt

• Like 3

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

Many thanks Gary for showing us your work.      This type of knife building is what I enjoy seeing, not the exaggerated things that pass off as Bowie Knives today.

About the book:  "A Sure Defense:  The Bowie Knife in America". 

I have found a couple of used copies on ebay.   I went to the Arkansas Museum site and it is stated the books are available so I will order one from the Museum.

Thanks, John

Edited by John Ricks

Most of the photos are of knives that were on display there three years ago.  It was  the largest collection of authentic  Bowie knives ever assembled.  I was like a "kid in a candy store".  If fact it was  that display which prompted me to make my first "Bowie No.1".

Mark Zaleski (co-author) is  bringing some of  his knives  tomorrow.  If you visit the museum's Facebook page you can see some of them.

Edited by Gary Mulkey

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

Beautiful work man, that was a complex build but you pulled it off and made it look easy.

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

44 minutes ago, John Ricks said:

How was the Museum Visit?  Any photos of your No. 1 at the Museum?

Thanks

I had a great time.  It's always fun  to  talk  knives & knife history with  Mark.  I didn't get any photos while  there.  Sorry.

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

Thank you Gary for showing it all the way through. 

Gary LT

"I Never Met A Knife I Didn't Like", (Will Rogers)

On ‎12‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 12:56 PM, Gary Mulkey said:

John,

The book is brand new and the only place that I know of right now to purchase it is through the store at The Historic Arkansas Museum.  Copies are $70.  A-Sure-Defense.jpg?Action=thumbnail&algo

The book arrived today.

Wow!  400 pages.   Many, many big photos of the historical knives.      And excellent writings of the knives.

I highly recommend this book to those with an interested in the path of the  Bowie throughout history.

Thanks Gary for introducing me to this wonderful book.

great work, Gary. I love the whole thing, the knife, the history, the collection... yowza...

• Like 1

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Gary, that turned out awesome! I learned from the WIP and some history along the lines from you! Your work always intrigues me and anything you are working on I am game to see it!! You are indeed a true master craftsman! hatsoff

In regards to the pic Mr. Black was a fairly young man in that pic!!

• Like 1

C Craft Customs ~~~ With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down ! If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner! ~~~ C Craft

Thanks, gentlemen.  I'm glad that you enjoyed the trip  through this one.  I enjoy doing the historical knives like this and am glad that you enjoyed it as well.  

I've a customer interested in a reproduction of  the Shively/Perkins Bowie.  If I build it, I'll try to post some pics of  the process.

Gary

Edited by Gary Mulkey

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA