• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Rob Toneguzzo

The Hounds are baying...something is amiss!

Was sound asleep just now when i was woken to the sound of angry barking...yelled out to dogs to shut up but it got worse so i got up; torch in hand and this is what i saw at the front door.

A 3 meter plus Darwin Carpet Python with a large lump. My guess is it was a brush tailed possum which is about the size of a good cat.

Dogs locked up too.

Going back to bed now but thought I would post it.

20171203_230800.jpg

20171203_231514.jpg

• Like 1

Good doggies! Did you give them a biscuit? I just showed this to my wife, who wont hunt because she doesn't think she could shoot an animal and she said:

"That I could shoot. I could shoot a 10 foot long snake."

Honestly I'd take the snake over the opossum.  I don't know what a brush tailed one looks like, but the ones we have here in the US look like they were made out of leftovers from the spare parts bin.

Are the pythons indigenous to your area, or are they an invasive species?

I dunno Brian, I don't want to meet the snake that could swallow one of the opossums we have around here. You couldn't safely have a dog smaller than 30#.

Edited by Vern Wimmer

I generally give the snakes about a 100' buffer around the house.

They cross that and they usually don't leave in one piece.

• Like 1

Different strokes for different folks.  I like snakes, and generally encourage them around my property.  Venomous snakes are quite rare around me though, so it isn't like I'm going to trip over a rattler on a sunny afternoon.

However, if I run into a spider web walking in the woods, I flail around like a schoolgirl :unsure:

No snakes allowed around here. My wife has a reptile dysfunction - seeing one causes premature evacuation.

If we ever meet in person get me to tell you about the time an 18" corn snake got in the house when I was at work...:lol:

I'll tell you about my Dad and the nest when we were digging a new line for Grandma's cistern. I thought it was funny.

Ya ever been smacked with a shovel?

It's my phone & service double tapping. It sends part then switches and starts again.

Edited by Vern Wimmer

Oddly enough, I have indeed been smacked with a shovel.  Occupational hazard as an archaeologist.

Or thinking your Dad's phobia is funny:wacko:

OK, I can't help myself.  Don't mention fear of snakes and archaeology at the same time to a guy in his 40's...

"There's a big snake in the plane Jock!  Aww, that's just my pet snake Reggie."