Trouble getting blade hot enough during HT

I started making knives recently and I am having trouble getting my blade to non-magnetic.  I am using the Benzomatic WT2301 propane torch and soft fire bricks with a tunnel carved out in the center and a third brick blocking the back.  If I get the flame to swirl just right I can get it hot enough but it takes a lot of tinkering with and doesn't heat the blade very evenly.  There has to be a better way.  What do you guys suggest?  Not wanting to spend a lot of money.   

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even if i only help chris it will be worth it! I will post pictures here and im going to start a new topic under beginners place so it will be easier to find for other beginners or simply someone who

+1 Venturi burner is easy and relatively cheap to build. Look in the tool making section. I built mine on that design.

He can make a mini venturi like Jeremy said. With 1/2" pipe and smaller mig tip...

Posted Images

I've used the one and two brick forges and still have one set up for small stuff. What you are describing is fairly normal.  I found that tinkering with the hole a bit so I could get the blade horizontal and making sure I didn't have the torch too far into the hole provided the best results. It also helps to have a huge reserve of patience and to not try a blade beyond the forge's capabilities. About 3" was the best I could do. If you are just a tiny bit short you might try MAPP gas. I tried it and it did give me a bit more but I suspect that in the confined space there are some built in limitations. If I were doing nothing but forged EDCs I would build up a more durable 2 brick for a lot of the work and run a small torch tip off a large tank. I like the little things.

You could build a small venturi burner. Or try to find a weed burner that would fit in the end of your forge. A weed burner will get a lot hotter than the torch you are using. I have built a small venturi burner for a friend that wanted to use a small freon bottle for a forge and it ran on a 5psi regulator fairly well. I think it used a 3/4 or 1 inch pipe. I know all of these things cost money but for what a weed burner would cost you could build a venturi burner.

IMO even a weed burner for a 2 brick would be like putting a 454 in a Prius and trying to drive it across the Country at full throttle.

I agree that a paint can, stove pipe, would be an improvement for Chris but sometimes we have to dance with the one whut brung us.

I'd love to have the time and availability to try to come up with a truly miniaturized burner design along the lines of the T-Rex shorty, just for really small forges, that could be made on the cheap. Maybe even a thrift store hairdryer blower. 

In the "Old, Really OLD days more intetested people had more opportunity to use charcoal or coal for small/cheap. Times have changed. I have even wondered about some of the Coleman stove parts I have around. I have seen farriers forges that use the Coleman system and all they were/are for is heating a horseshoe 'till it's, maleable. With the right design.....I know that I can melt lead for casting on a Coleman stove, no great trick but still...

13 minutes ago, Vern Wimmer said:

IMO even a weed burner for a 2 brick would be like putting a 454 in a Prius and trying to drive it across the Country at full throttle.

I have a buddy that built a motorcycle with a 327 chevy and his buddy built one with a 454 with a blower. Its not that uncommon were im at.

4 hours ago, Chris S said:

I started making knives recently and I am having trouble getting my blade to non-magnetic.  I am using the Benzomatic WT2301 propane torch and soft fire bricks with a tunnel carved out in the center and a third brick blocking the back.  If I get the flame to swirl just right I can get it hot enough but it takes a lot of tinkering with and doesn't heat the blade very evenly.  There has to be a better way.  What do you guys suggest?  Not wanting to spend a lot of money.   

Cheap & easy: Add a second torch.

The venturi setup is probably a better idea, but you will be buying a regulator, mig tips a bunch of iron plumbing pipe and fittings, you will probably wish you had a MIG welder, and the $ starts adding up.

Edited by Joshua States
28 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

I have a buddy that built a motorcycle with a 327 chevy and his buddy built one with a 454 with a blower. Its not that uncommon were im at.

I helped shoehorn a 429 TJ into an 'F" body Cougar. So many associated mods, like a big burner in a small forge,  impractical. To the topic, I'm not sure there would br much left of a soft kiln brick if you opened it up for a weedburner. 

18 minutes ago, Joël Mercier said:

He can make a mini venturi like Jeremy said. With 1/2" pipe and smaller mig tip...

I'd like to see a plan for that using off the shelf parts. I think you could get the "T-Rex" /el Diablo effect with a manifold tube "V" cut (s) hacksawed in, around the venturi tube.

7 minutes ago, Vern Wimmer said:

I'd like to see a plan for that using off the shelf parts.

This one is a 3/4" venturi. You can substitute a 3/4" to 1" bell coupling for the end piece flare tube. Works pretty much the same.

venturi.jpg

Edited by Joshua States
4 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

This one is a 3/4" venturi. You can substitute a 3/4" to 1" bell coupling for the end piece flare tube. Works pretty much the same.

venturi.jpg

This is the exact same burner set up that i use works great and if you choose to you can add a blower on it, works like a charm!!!

15 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

The venturi setup is probably a better idea, but you will be buying a regulator, mig tips a bunch of iron plumbing pipe and fittings, you will probably wish you had a MIG welder, and the $ starts adding up.

I build my burners for around 20 bucks and now i have all kinds of brass and iron fittings that i won on an online auction so its just getting cheaper. As for a regulator the small burner i built used a normal house regulator pre set at 5psi. I have also won welding regulators on an online auction for anywhere between $3 and $15

7 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

This is the exact same burner set up that i use works great and if you choose to you can add a blower on it, works like a charm!!!

These are available through Hightemptools and come either as a kit ($45 assembly required) or fully assembled ($80)

(for those who don't want to make the effort and build one themselves)

Edited by Joshua States
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

I build my burners for around 20 bucks and now i have all kinds of brass and iron fittings that i won on an online auction so its just getting cheaper. As for a regulator the small burner i built used a normal house regulator pre set at 5psi. I have also won welding regulators on an online auction for anywhere between $3 and $15

That works! With the right forge setup, 5psi and a venturi will get you to welding heat.

Edited by Joshua States
4 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

These are available through Hightemptools and come either as a kit ($45 assembly required) or fully assembled ($80)

(for those who don't want to make the effort and build one themselves)

I didnt know about this kit i found a picture of something similar and copied it. It might have been this picture that i seen.;)

I think just for shits and giggles tomorrow im going to make a mini burner and mini forge just because i have all the materials needed and i can post a step by step how to.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

I forgot to mention for Chris, the originator of the thread, 

If you haven't already, try making sure that you get the tang end heated up very well so it wicks off less heat while you heat the blade end. Every little bit matters in a little forge.

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

I think just for shits and giggles tomorrow im going to make a mini burner and mini forge just because i have all the materials needed and i can post a step by step how to.

Excellent!!!  You'll be a hero to young boys and girls across America ! (Or at least a couple of people around here)

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Vern Wimmer said:

Excellent!!!  You'll be a hero to young boys and girls across America ! (Or at least a couple of people around here)

Even if i only help chris it will be worth it! I will post pictures here and im going to start a new topic under beginners place so it will be easier to find for other beginners or simply someone who wants a gas forge to compliment there coal forge.

• Like 2

Like Josh said, since you don't want to spend money, another torch might be the best method.  

Like the others said, you need a real forge. If it were me, and I wanted a forge for next to nothing, I would use charcoal and get creative. 

A propane forge is for sure way less headache once it's built though. 

That's all the advice I have to offer ya 

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Even if i only help chris it will be worth it! I will post pictures here and im going to start a new topic under beginners place so it will be easier to find for other beginners or simply someone who wants a gas forge to compliment there coal forge.

That's great. When I ran charcoal I can't count the number if times I put off finishing something because I had to wait until I fired the forge up next time so I could "fix" some little thing.

15 minutes ago, Vern Wimmer said:

That's great. When I ran charcoal I can't count the number if times I put off finishing something because I had to wait until I fired the forge up next time so I could "fix" some little thing.

Same here its nice in the sense you can make your own charcoal and you can have isolated heat and heat up just sections of a workpiece for upsetting and things like that but the convenience of being able to walk out and light the forge in the blink of an eye is awesome to have at your disposal.;)

So i built the body of the mini forge now i have to figure out how to post a picture from the phone. If i cant i will get to a computer later.