Trouble getting blade hot enough during HT

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even if i only help chris it will be worth it! I will post pictures here and im going to start a new topic under beginners place so it will be easier to find for other beginners or simply someone who

+1 Venturi burner is easy and relatively cheap to build. Look in the tool making section. I built mine on that design.

He can make a mini venturi like Jeremy said. With 1/2" pipe and smaller mig tip...

Posted Images

I will finish the burner on Thursday. I would do it tomorrow but I have to take my father in for surgery so it will have to be thursday. After it is all finished I will post a how to in the beginners place.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

I love it when a plan comes together.

Hope you Dad's surgey isn't serious and goes well.

• Like 1

It's a simple knee surgery so it shouldn't be bad. The bad one is his back. That's coming the beginning of the year. And my back surgery is going to be next year sometime. For now they wanna keep doing epidural steroid injections :unsure:

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will keep watching for the how too for the cheap and easy to make burner. I think that with be perfect. I enjoyed reading everyone's comments, thanks guys. 

The 45$ option doesn't look bad either. 

16 hours ago, Chris S said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I will keep watching for the how too for the cheap and easy to make burner. I think that with be perfect. I enjoyed reading everyone's comments, thanks guys. 

The 45$ option doesn't look bad either. 

I will have the burner done tomorrow. My wife's truck broke down so now instead of playing bladesmith I get to play mechanic. Why dose everything have to break just before the first real snow fall? 

19 minutes ago, Charles du Preez said:

So it doesn’t break after?

I had to do a fuel pump on my truck last year. I was pushing my truck in the shop as the first snow was falling and now my wife's car had some major rust issue with the frame not a spot of rust on the body though .So about 2 weeks ago I bought her a new truck (had to rob money from my Nimba anvil fund :()  and and now right before snow fall the fuel pump goes out on this truck. If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all!!!:unsure:

Edited by Jeremy Blohm
2 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

I had to do a fuel pump on my truck last year. I was pushing my truck in the shop as the first snow was falling and now my wife's car had some major rust issue with the frame not a spot of rust on the body though .So about 2 weeks ago I bought her a new truck (had to rob money from my Nimba anvil fund :()  and and now right before snow fall the fuel pump goes out on this truck. If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all!!!:unsure:

Let me guess, both are GM's?

4 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

Let me guess, both are GM's?

Yes sir the wife's is a 2001 yukon w/5.3L and mine is a 1994 suburban w/7.4L. I had to do the fuel pump on by brothers 2001 k1500 last year and his ended up being a wiring issue to. Gotta love chevy. Still better than the chrysler pacifica my wife just got rid of. That thing was a death trap that looked really nice. 

Didn't quite get the fuel pump finished so the burner will have to wait another day

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Yes sir the wife's is a 2001 yukon w/5.3L and mine is a 1994 suburban w/7.4L. I had to do the fuel pump on by brothers 2001 k1500 last year and his ended up being a wiring issue to. Gotta love chevy. Still better than the chrysler pacifica my wife just got rid of. That thing was a death trap that looked really nice. 

Didn't quite get the fuel pump finished so the burner will have to wait another day

:lol: those pumps sure are crappy. 

15 minutes ago, Joël Mercier said:

:lol: those pumps sure are crappy. 

They don't make them like they used to. What was wrong with the mechanical pumps on the side of the block? Oh yeah they can't be hooked up to a computer!

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

They don't make them like they used to. What was wrong with the mechanical pumps on the side of the block? Oh yeah they can't be hooked up to a computer!

The fun part is your pump isn't even computer driven with duty cycles. It's just powered by a relay. :lol:

14 minutes ago, Joël Mercier said:

The fun part is your pump isn't even computer driven with duty cycles. It's just powered by a relay. :lol:

Good thing im not a full time mechanic! I hate working on cars especially newer ones. Like today a simple fuel pump turned into a nightmare because one line wanted to be a pain in the...:)

On 12/4/2017 at 2:21 PM, Chris S said:

I started making knives recently and I am having trouble getting my blade to non-magnetic.  I am using the Benzomatic WT2301 propane torch and soft fire bricks with a tunnel carved out in the center and a third brick blocking the back.  If I get the flame to swirl just right I can get it hot enough but it takes a lot of tinkering with and doesn't heat the blade very evenly.  There has to be a better way.  What do you guys suggest?  Not wanting to spend a lot of money.   

On 12/4/2017 at 5:53 PM, Vern Wimmer said:

IMO even a weed burner for a 2 brick would be like putting a 454 in a Prius and trying to drive it across the Country at full throttle.

https://m.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18505996&KPID=14939044&cid=CAPLA:G:Shopping_-_Weed_Control_Products1&pla=pla_14939044&k_clickid=f6f9c1d1-caf9-4fa2-85f7-ac8d904e3755&gclid=CjwKCAiA6qPRBRAkEiwAGw4SdsIMHehWAAtfOxh1YND57az8KQK38FzhtfIWi_fRjNI8oovZ3M2zVBoC63cQAvD_BwE

This was the weed burner i was looking for. Something like this would work better than the small torch. Not as hardcore as most of the weed burners but it is kinda expensive. Bud-K carried them at one point. I just won a couple torches on an online auction tonight i have to pick them up at the beginning of the week. One of them looks a lot like this one. 99230d8f2De9332D42d22Daddd2D3ee4a2f73f9aFILE15.JPG

Both of these for $7

A zero to fifteen psi gauge and a bit of plumbing and you'd be ready for a stove pipe forge. (That just happens to be a handy size for me to make mini forges out of. I gave a couple away in smallest form for standard plumbers torches. I have one in the shop now that is larger and needs a bigger burner and refractory on the interior.) 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Chris S said:

Goede G-2 stainless steel forge/foundry burner and 0-30 PSI regulator with gauge. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FTGA720/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_2rYkAb5S8FFP6

What do you guys think about that? Seems like it would cost almost that much just to buy all the parts. 

That would be a great burner but you could build one for half that price. The only problem you have with building one is having to make sure the orfice (hole) has to be centered and pointing straight down the tube.

The Ron Reil style burner is extremely affordable, I've build a couple and it's drilling a total of three holes and the rest is just screwing the bits together. 

• Like 1

In an effort to try and make the simplest forge and burner possible with the least amount of tools required to build this i think the ron reil burner is going to be the way to go. The burners i usually build requires a couple taps and if the holes are not taped perfectly then the venturi effect will be compromised and you will need to add a blower then. The only problem that i think im going to run into with building a mini burner is the orfice size. It will have to be smaller than a normal size burner so i will probably have to get some really small drill bits and experiment with orfice size.

On Friday, December 08, 2017 at 7:20 PM, Jeremy Blohm said:

In an effort to try and make the simplest forge and burner possible with the least amount of tools required to build this i think the ron reil burner is going to be the way to go. The burners i usually build requires a couple taps and if the holes are not taped perfectly then the venturi effect will be compromised and you will need to add a blower then. The only problem that i think im going to run into with building a mini burner is the orfice size. It will have to be smaller than a normal size burner so i will probably have to get some really small drill bits and experiment with orfice size.

You know, I've been doing some thinking about the orifice size and I wonder, with the shorter stack it might produce less vacuum and if I were doing it with my usual luck it might need a larger hole, and be less efficient of course, to put out enough heat both by fuel use and increasing draw in a shorter stack.

Of course it's Sunday night and I'm just letting my mind unspool as my wife watches ancient reruns of "Law & Order: SCG (Special Crossing Guards) or some such. I may be waaaaaaay off base.

11 hours ago, Vern Wimmer said:

You know, I've been doing some thinking about the orifice size and I wonder, with the shorter stack it might produce less vacuum and if I were doing it with my usual luck it might need a larger hole, and be less efficient of course, to put out enough heat both by fuel use and increasing draw in a shorter stack.

Of course it's Sunday night and I'm just letting my mind unspool as my wife watches ancient reruns of "Law & Order: SCG (Special Crossing Guards) or some such. I may be waaaaaaay off base.

Your right on subject. It will definitely take some tinkering to figure out what will work best. Hopefully it isn't the opposite of  what i think. I'm hoping to make an efficient little forge. I don't want something efficient looking but sucks the gas down.:unsure:

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

OTOH it might break even with the smaller chamber to heat. Then again there is back pressure. I just have a feeling that there will be a sweet spot that will work great. I look forward to a simple mini burner for my stovepipe forge. I thought about improvements to it last night. A little "desk top" forge near my workbench would be so handy and I don't like anything I see on Ebay in that size.