• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
guarnera

reverse kasaki

Hello all,

I'm back. I had a health scare 4 years ago, and thought I was dyeing, So I sold all my knife making stuff. Well my treatment went well and I'm still kicking. So being retired now, and no shop, I have been kind of bored lately. So I found in my shed a Bob Egnath Katana, that I had forgotten about. It's one he made before he passed away. The only problem is that it had a crack in the tip. I reground the tip. But now the Hamon runs off the tip. I have read that when this happens to a Japanese smith, they cut the tip off backwards, kind of like a broken back saex. The problem is, I have never seen an example of this. Do they make a kind of reverse Kasaki? If anyone has a picture of this and can post it I would be eternally grateful. I hate to see one of Bob's last swords go by the wayside. He was getting some great hamons toward the end. Also, what would be the weight of a bare katana blade? 42" total. 31" blade, and 11" tang. This blade seems a bit heavy. Although after shaping and polishing it should lighten up a little.

Sincerely,

Tony G.

P.S.  If Mark P is lurking, How the heck are you doing? P.M. me.

Antnee #1

Edited by guarnera
  • Like 1

Very interesting question... I'll be watching this one. I would normally suggest re-heat treating, but then it loses some of it's "magic".

Edit: I don't know you, but I'm glad you're ok!

Edited by Zeb Camper

I think most swords would be around 2 pounds more or less. Going from memory, the back of the blade is ground toward the edge.....research Satsuma-age. Hope it helps; how about some photos?