Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Blohm

Hunting knife

I wonder what would chew on an antler like this.

Resized_20190105_001027.jpeg

Porcupine would be my first guess, it depends on where you got it.  Weasel, mink, fisher, wild pig, badger are all candidates, but the upward sweeping gouges look like a porky to me.

Geoff 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Geoff Keyes said:

but the upward sweeping gouges look like a porky to me.

Geoff 

I was kinda thinking the same thing....don't they have to kinda trim there teeth because there always growing. I wanna train my dads dog to hunt for sheds in the spring to use for handle material. 

I worked for a couple hours after everyone went to bed. Here is where km at now.

Resized_20190105_012109.jpegResized_20190105_012242.jpegResized_20190105_012332.jpegResized_20190105_015615.jpeg

Well it's almost 2:30 in the am.....time for bed!!!!

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

I made a little more progress this morning. I have some 316 stainless to use for the pommel.

Resized_20190105_145659(1).jpeg

With surgical like precision with the angle grinder i have a pommel. Now do I thread the tang and drill and tap pommel or just peen it?

Resized_20190105_153146.jpeg

Still have some work to do on the handle but I have some things to get done first. This is what I have so far.Resized_20190107_112531.jpeg

Well, well, well...this looks an awful lot like a pic of a blade a friend of mine is working on. Coincidentally he just sent me a pic...:lol:

• Haha 1

What up Chris? I was wondering when you were going to make an appearance here.

I'm always creeping around in the corners and shadows but figured I'd actually do something productive! I mean I'm at work so I have to do SOMETHING. :D

Working hard at hardly working. :lol:

The more I look at this the more i wish i would have made the handle a little shorter. This is the smallest blade that I have made and it posed many challenges. 

I probably should show how I got the patina on the blade.

It starts with digging through my wife and daughters nail polishResized_20190107_074056.jpegpainted the edge in the pattern I wanted and spattered some on the sides. Resized_20190107_074824(2).jpegthen soaked in sulfuric acid for about ten minutes which I didn't get a picture of.Resized_20190107_081906(2).jpeg

I'm going to antique the handle with ammonia also.

• Like 2

Will do. I'm getting the ammonia tomorrow. Km going to use some of the scraps from the handle to do a few test before I do it to the knife.

Every time I'm in the store I keep forgetting to ge the ammonia. But I am second guessing my decision. What will the ammonia do to the antler?

Dollar general brand ammonia.Resized_20190115_204043.jpeg

Here is the handle before Resized_20190115_204113.jpeg

I put it in the box and suspended it off of the top of a coffee can so the handle wasnt sitting on anything. And put a cup of ammonia in the box and closed it up.Resized_20190115_204208.jpeg

So it's been almost 12 hrs since I put this in the box and I'm still not happy with the results. I'm assuming a big part of the problem is that it is really cold in the garage and that is delaying the process. Now that everyone is out of the house for the day I might bring it inside and see if it speeds up the process. 

In the meantime I started working on another blade that I forged a while ago and never finished. I figure while I cant do a whole lot of hot work right now I might as well be doing something.Resized_20190116_081512.jpeg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

The ammonia thing requires fuming ammonia, not readily available these days.  The household stuff will take several weeks to get a similar effect.

Well that sucks.

Where might I find it?

Edit: I found it on Amazon but it is quite expensive.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Industrial cleaning supplies, mostly.  You might have to sign for it if you can find it.  It's one of those things that can be used to cook meth.

That's nice! Those idiot's ruin everything for us lawful people.

Maybe my brothers girlfriends ex-husband can help me out...I hear he is running a meth lab.:lol:

So I went another route. I'm going to try the vinegar and steel wool trick. I have it brewing now. The only thing is I didn't have any normal white vinegar. All I have is the cleaning vinegar. Will it make a difference?Resized_20190116_153511.jpegResized_20190116_153520.jpeg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

It'll take a bit more wool since it's a bit stronger, but that's all.

• Thanks 1