Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Blohm

Hunting knife

What you doin with that wool? Trying to make a rusty vinegar water concoction to use as stain? 

I know a faster method if it may interest you. 

About half and half mix of white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide with a spoon full of table salt. I call it "insta-rust"got it from a Walter sorrows video. You can brown things with this (and blue if boiled after) rust heavily, and put iron in it and make a good stain for high tannin woods. Curly maple is gorgeous with it!. 

• Thanks 1

I'm going to give that a shot. Thanks!

Before

On 1/15/2019 at 8:51 PM, Jeremy Blohm said:

Resized_20190115_204113.jpeg

After

Resized_20190116_201104.jpeg

I'm not sure I'm 100% pleased with it but it definitely looks aged.

Remember to heat it!  A torch, a heat gun, wave it in front of the forge or over a burner.  It will darken quite a bit if you wipe on a thin coat and steam it off.  Just try not to scorch things.

Um.......how deep does it go?

Resized_20190117_100712.jpeg

Resized_20190117_100707(0).jpeg

Resized_20190117_100703.jpeg

• Haha 1

Not that deep... :o  but it is permanent.  Oxalic acid can get it out, but it'll bleach the wood.  Oops!

If you don't tell her, I bet she'll never even notice. :ph34r:

I wonder if she would want ALL of her brand new cabinets antiqued?

Luckily the door was an extra that we took off of the upper corner cabinet.

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Just now, Jeremy Blohm said:

I wonder if she would want ALL of her brand new cabinets antiqued?

Personally, I would.  I think it is an improvement; or would be if it was even coverage!  

Most of it went onto the floor of the lower corner cabinet that we had to build in order to go with the existing floor. 

Resized_20190117_114532.jpeg

So my wife is at work and I messaged these pictures to her and she immediately called me freaking out!!! I told her I can fix it and we hung up the phone. (Ok maybe there was a little more to it but any way) afterward she sent me this picture.:lol:

Screenshot_20190117-124943_Messages.jpg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Awe, she's just saying "you're number one!"

• Haha 1

Is she home yet? Are you still alive?  

I can't help noticing nobody has said "Dude, why were you staining wood in your new, unfinished kitchen?"

That's 'cause we're guys.  We all do stupid stuff like this. :lol:  And we never have a good answer...:unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

***HACKED BY THE WIFE!!!***

He's grounded from all chemicals! Lol

-Sam

• Haha 6

Lmfao that’s what disc sanders and 80 grit pads are for lmfao.

• Like 1

Ok after sanding all day this is where I'm at with it. I still have a lot of work to do!Resized_20190117_201616.jpeg

I asked the wife to ground me from the Sanders also...she said no way!!!!

Note: I said sanders this doesn't include my belt "grinder" :P

Some days "oops" doesn't cover it.  I hate to say it but I think that you are going to be hearing about that one for a while.

Doug

I read this to my wife and had accusatory statements made about some of my "adventures" in the kitchen. Anybody else spilled hot (read liquid at 200F) paraffin wax on the carpet transfering it from the kitchen to the workroom. Replacing the carpet was easier (not cheaper) than sanding all that cabinetry and floor back but the reminders continue when something needs to be done in her domain.

Edited by Garry Keown

I can only imagine. My question is how old was the carpet when this happened? Hopefully it was something you were hoping to replace soon.

Well here is the blade after the antiquing and some boiled linseed oil.Resized_20190119_141858.jpeg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

4 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

I can only imagine. My question is how old was the carpet when this happened? Hopefully it was something you were hoping to replace soon.

It was due to be replaced so not too bad but that didn't stop feathers being ruffled though.

Antiquing looks good.

• Thanks 1

A very rough 80 grit. Getting used to the faster speed on the belt grinder is a challenge. 

Resized_20190217_142143(1).jpeg

2 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Getting used to the faster speed on the belt grinder is a challenge. 

I had a grinder that was 1 speed- Fast. it was very hard to get good grinds and not burn up edges after heat treat. I have a VFD now and a 3phase motor and it is like night and day difference. I know VFD is not cheap but the Aggravation and time you save make it worth every penny

16 minutes ago, JASON VOLKERT said:

. I know VFD is not cheap but the Aggravation and time you save make it worth every penny

I second that! I have never had a grinder without a VFD but I burned a tip once and learned when to use lower speeds. 

There was a couple Allen Bradley VFD's at an auction last week that I passed on because they were 3 phase in and 3 phase out and I didn't know if I could run them with a phase converter. Gut feeling told me to let them go so instead I won a 2 HP electric motor for my power hammer  to replace to 3/4 hp motor that is taking a crap and a brand new motor/blower for a central vacuum cleaner system for $15. We will see if its forge/bloomery worthy.