Daniel Cauble

My initial journey into crucible steels.

Posted (edited)

When I have looked at grain boundaries, it has been in easy things like this:

square3.tif

I generally wet grind up to 1200 grit, then polish on felt with 1 micron followed by whatever I have that is less than 1 micron, sometimes 0.50 or 0.25 micron, sometimes 0.05 micron.  I then etch by rubbing the surface with a "lint free Q-Tip" dipped in etchant as long as it takes to go cloudy; typically about 30 seconds.  Rinse with water, blow dryer until dry, check on microscope.  Re-etch as necessary, typically in 5-10 second intervals (don't re-polish unless you've over-etched).  

If you can, definitely add scale bars to all your images.  ImageJ is freeware that is quite powerful for these kinds of things.  All you need otherwise is an appropriate sized scale bar to take a picture of, then make sure you don't change camera settings.  

Edited by Jerrod Miller
Edited to add: Not sure why that image has to be downloaded. Because it is a tif?
  • Like 1

Here is is a a jpeg.  

square3.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you Jerrod. I am not classically trained in microscopy so it's a learning curve. Looking at yours and looking at mine, I would say mine looks almost over etched. Idk. 

My left eyepiece has a faint scale bar across the middle but I never use it to take pictures because it has a crack in it.

I also remembered I have .25 micron diamond paste.

Edited by Daniel Cauble

You can't use one built into an eyepiece nearly as easily as one you look at as if it were a sample.  If you want to give it a shot I can get you more info and/or PM me your number and we can discuss it over the phone, possibly while you're looking at it in the microscope or at a PC.  

13 hours ago, Jerrod Miller said:

You can't use one built into an eyepiece nearly as easily as one you look at as if it were a sample.  If you want to give it a shot I can get you more info and/or PM me your number and we can discuss it over the phone, possibly while you're looking at it in the microscope or at a PC.  

That would be great. As much info as I can get.

I currently have the book "Optical Microscopy of Carbon Steels" by L.E. Samuels, for reference. 

I will also try a shorter etch this next time to see if it helps.

400x + camera optical zoom. Nital 3.6% (my exact concentration), 12 second etch. Getting better!!

20190516_141647.jpg

Ok, some updates here. I recently built a new, more durable melting furnace able to withstand 3300F using 94% alumina castable.This new furnace I am using a 1.5" blown propane burner I made for it.

20190928_191817.jpg

The first puck made in the furnace didnt turn out the way I had hoped, so I remelted it again with some more, higher carbon material (my oroshigane). This bumped it up to the 1.3-1.4% C range.

20190929_185442.jpg

20190929_200207.jpg

20190929_195452.jpg

I have been making 1.6-2.5% C crucible steel in the past, so this lower carbon content was a little new to me.

I also purchased an electric kiln to do an initial roast of the puck.

20191002_184347.jpg

Now I have roasted the puck for 22 hours and am ready to forge this evening.

20191003_215734.jpg

20191003_215511.jpg

What is most peculiar is without even forging, there are latitudal lines already bunched up it appears seperate from the grain boundary cementite. These last photos are 40x10 mag, dirty belt finish, longer than normal etch in 3% nital.

Posted (edited)

Looking good, making the mechanics of smelting an easier process is a good idea, I am working on that as well ...interesting structures...thanks for posting.

Edited by Jan Ysselstein

6 hours ago, Daniel Cauble said:

What is most peculiar is without even forging, there are latitudal lines already bunched up it appears seperate from the grain boundary cementite. These last photos are 40x10 mag, dirty belt finish, l

Cool looking progress Daniel. When I read the words above, and looked at the photo, my first impression was belt grinder marks, but there seem to be very evenly spaced striations within the steel. Some sort of lamellar structure.

23 minutes ago, Joshua States said:

Cool looking progress Daniel. When I read the words above, and looked at the photo, my first impression was belt grinder marks, but there seem to be very evenly spaced striations within the steel. Some sort of lamellar structure.

It's probably cementite bands. Which is weird because they usually dont start showing up until forging.

Ran into some frustration because I felt like I was not seeing enough cementite spheroidizing. I figured I would see more for 1.3-1.4%. I nearly gave up on this bar.

20191005_083532.jpg

20191005_083620.jpg

Them I forged it some more and gave it literally one last etch before chucking it to the side.

20191005_185953.jpg

20191005_190043.jpg20191005_190039.jpg

• Like 1