Daniel Cauble

My initial journey into crucible steels.

Posted (edited)

When I have looked at grain boundaries, it has been in easy things like this:

square3.tif

I generally wet grind up to 1200 grit, then polish on felt with 1 micron followed by whatever I have that is less than 1 micron, sometimes 0.50 or 0.25 micron, sometimes 0.05 micron.  I then etch by rubbing the surface with a "lint free Q-Tip" dipped in etchant as long as it takes to go cloudy; typically about 30 seconds.  Rinse with water, blow dryer until dry, check on microscope.  Re-etch as necessary, typically in 5-10 second intervals (don't re-polish unless you've over-etched).  

If you can, definitely add scale bars to all your images.  ImageJ is freeware that is quite powerful for these kinds of things.  All you need otherwise is an appropriate sized scale bar to take a picture of, then make sure you don't change camera settings.  

Edited by Jerrod Miller
Edited to add: Not sure why that image has to be downloaded. Because it is a tif?
  • Like 1

Here is is a a jpeg.  

square3.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you Jerrod. I am not classically trained in microscopy so it's a learning curve. Looking at yours and looking at mine, I would say mine looks almost over etched. Idk. 

My left eyepiece has a faint scale bar across the middle but I never use it to take pictures because it has a crack in it.

I also remembered I have .25 micron diamond paste.

Edited by Daniel Cauble

You can't use one built into an eyepiece nearly as easily as one you look at as if it were a sample.  If you want to give it a shot I can get you more info and/or PM me your number and we can discuss it over the phone, possibly while you're looking at it in the microscope or at a PC.  

13 hours ago, Jerrod Miller said:

You can't use one built into an eyepiece nearly as easily as one you look at as if it were a sample.  If you want to give it a shot I can get you more info and/or PM me your number and we can discuss it over the phone, possibly while you're looking at it in the microscope or at a PC.  

That would be great. As much info as I can get.

I currently have the book "Optical Microscopy of Carbon Steels" by L.E. Samuels, for reference. 

I will also try a shorter etch this next time to see if it helps.

400x + camera optical zoom. Nital 3.6% (my exact concentration), 12 second etch. Getting better!!

20190516_141647.jpg