There And Back Again

I, like many of us, often get busy with life and don't often have time to come back to my home here and hang out with you magnificent smiths.

Last time I was here, I posted the type XVa sword I'd just completed. After that, I finished up this commissioned dagger for a returning customer, W2 blade with kind of a hamon, wrought iron guard with silver spacer between the blade and the guard, and a hammered copper spacer between the guard and the zebrawood grip.
25394034_943222595825287_660795846_n.jpg

Since then, I've been picked up by Longship Armoury, a group of craftsmen and artists including a couple of bladesmiths you might know, John Lundemo and KC Lund. With the NYC Knife Show coming up, the first order of business was doing my part to fill the table. With with nothing but a couple of seaxes on hand, it took a month of twelve hour days, but I stuck nine chefs knife, four paring knives, and three seaxes in a box to New Jersey! Here's all of the knives I completed in that time, with painfully few WIP pics, unfortunately.

Some forged and profiled blades! 
chefses.jpg

Wrought iron and 80crv2 San Mai chefs
chefs.jpg

1084/15n20 San Mai chefs
25360489_943222605825286_1690942714_n.jpg

Paring knives in differentially hardened 1080, with olive wood or ebony grips. 
paring.jpg

You guys might remember this three bar broad sax from my WIP months ago, when I promised I'd finish them ;) I did! Wrought iron and copper bolster, cocobolo grip on this one, with a wrought iron spine, 8 layer twist in the center, and W2 edge bar. The proportion between the blade and hilt is the golden section.

mysax.jpg

With all that finished, a week later I got my butt on a plane from Springfield, Missouri, where my hair set off the metal detector for apparently being full of grinder dust no matter how many times I washed it...
trip.jpg

And landed in the O'hare Chicago airport, where I tried and failed to eat a sandwich during my layover. They did, however, have some really pretty and colorful decorations..! :P
trip7.jpg

Landed in Newark, took an uber from there to Jersey City, where I had a beautiful view of New York City
trip6.jpg

The next morning, I was up early to help John and James set up the Longship table! Here I am with all the goodies I brought with me. I didn't take many pictures at the show, because honestly I was so busy running the table. But I met some awesome guys there, spent most of the time with John, who's an awesome swordsmith and great to hang out with. Got to the Steel Baron himself Aldo Bruno, and talked with him for at least an hour, got to meet our own Matt Parkinson and held all of his lovely swords. I picked up a mother of pearl pendant with a hand painted cherry blossom to bring back to my amazing girlfriend. James brought a couple of awe inspiring antique Chinese Daos that I got to look at and swing around, and so much more that it was hard to take it in, in the time I had.
trip2.jpg

And of course, I wouldn't even be a bladesmith if I didn't take the opportunity to see the swords in The Met! After getting lost on the PATH, the subway, and getting stuck in traffic, I only had half an hour to look at the swords before the museum closed, but I still nearly cried from the pure awe of actually seeing these swords right in front of me. Some of which I'd spent hours studying, doing many sketches of, and to see them just inches away from my face filled my eyes with tears, it was a truly emotional experience for me.
trip4.jpgtrip5.jpg

The next day, I flew back home, having sold quite a few knives and physically exhausted from over a month of sacrificing time sleeping for time in front of a grinder or behind a table, but filled with fire and inspiration.

With this fire and inspiration, I didn't miss a beat getting back to commission work. First thing on the table was this axe head, forged from old wrought iron with my good friend and brother in the craft Mike Nelson striking for me. Asymmetrical wrap, and forge welded in 1075 edge with an ultra sexy autohamon from the water quench (Didn't fit in my parks tank :lol:) I also did a bit of inlay to spruce it up, copper rune of Tyr and some silver lines on the other side.
viking.jpgviking2.jpg

After that was this spearhead commission, which has a wrought iron center bar flanked by 8 layer twists going opposite directions, and 1075 edges, all wrapped up and welded together hairpin style. I forged a tang onto the billet, and forged and wrapped my own socket from 3/4" round wrought iron. and forge welded the whole mess together. Heat treated it, a little grindy, a little polish and etch and voila, a multibar spearhead :D
speary.jpgalsospear.jpg

So there's my adventures I've been up to lately! If you're reading this, I guess you made it to the end, and I'm both thankful for your attention, and sorry this post was so freakin long! This is just a window into what I've been up to, there's so much more going on that it would take an actual novel to share every bit of it. I've also got some very interesting projects going on behind the scenes at the moment, which I am extremely excited for. 

By the way, all of this hard work was totally worth it when I blew every dime on a 25 ton forging press from the fine gents at Coal Ironworks. I can't wait to get it in a few months, so I can start smashing out some REAL pattern weld!

Thanks again guys!

• Like 4

Thanks so much, everyone! Your words all mean a lot to me, and I can't wait to share the projects I'm working on now with you guys :D

• Like 1