Jump to content
Wesley Alberson

KITH 2018 poll

KITH 2018  

35 members have voted

  1. 1. What should the theme be for the KITH 2018?

    • Hatchet/Tomohawk
      11
    • Scissors
      2
    • Dividers
      2
    • Magic Themed Knife/Edged tool
      19
    • Vegetable Peeler
      1


Recommended Posts

Some things that I noticed people were talking about were tools that people can find a use for nearly every day. Among the tools are hatchet/tomohawks, scissors, and forged dividers. Even though KITH is usually something with an edge, it might be fun to do something that doesn't have an edge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The vegetable peeler that I'm thinking of is called a dao bao, a vietnamese kitchen tool. It might be a little too related to last year's KITH.

dao_bao.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been seeing a trend in extending the deadline in previous years. I know im new to this but maybe end of july this year?

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would be the deadline for the drawing.  Charles was asking when we decide what it's going to be.  And that is up to the participants, which I have not decided yet whether I am, so I won't offer an opinion yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Charles du Preez said:

Voting deadline?

 

11 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

I have been seeing a trend in extending the deadline in previous years. I know im new to this but maybe end of july this year?

Kinda got mixed up there. What has voting deadline usually been?

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets just make this poll voting deadline new year's. The popular vote at the start of the new year will be the theme we pick. I hope I got everyone's choices here. If there is something that isn't in the poll that you want, let me know.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I might make a silly suggestion here, I think most would feel more comfortable participating if it stayed with "knife" but, I couldn't find any past examples of combining other functions so I'm suggesting,

"A primary knife with a secondary non-cutting function or tool included in the design."

That could be a shackle wrench, bottle opener, slot machine (kidding) as examples.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to vote hatchet. It's been a while since I scratched that itch. I've never done KITH, but it sounds like fun!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What would be some magic themed knives? Not really into this kinda thing but im always down for a new challenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

What would be some magic themed knives? Not really into this kinda thing but im always down for a new challenge.

It could be something that has made-up or real lore behind it. It can also be inspired by ceremonial knives or video game weapons. It looks like the magic theme will win, so the people who wanted to make tomohawks can still make them. Perhaps they can be tomohawks blessed by a Cherokee god or wielded by a great warrior in the past. Maybe the edged tool has an inscription that gives it a special power, or even an unknown language on it. Those are just a few ideas, but your imagination is the limit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me know where to sign up for this...It will be my first KITH experience but should be interesting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, JeffM said:

Let me know where to sign up for this...It will be my first KITH experience but should be interesting

I think that people should start on the project on Jan 1 (or now for that matter), and then once a couple people finish we can start a signup thread where people can post a picture of their completed tool which will enter them in for the drawing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wesley Alberson said:

I think that people should start on the project on Jan 1 (or now for that matter), and then once a couple people finish we can start a signup thread where people can post a picture of their completed tool which will enter them in for the drawing.

Sounds like a perfectly good reason to get the forge running and bang on some metal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to participate in this KITH, and will get started as soon as the theme is locked down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Wesley Alberson said:

It could be something that has made-up or real lore behind it. It can also be inspired by ceremonial knives or video game weapons. It looks like the magic theme will win, so the people who wanted to make tomohawks can still make them. Perhaps they can be tomohawks blessed by a Cherokee god or wielded by a great warrior in the past. Maybe the edged tool has an inscription that gives it a special power, or even an unknown language on it. Those are just a few ideas, but your imagination is the limit.

Cool! I guess I'd better get to it! Reminds me of that super cool indian dude on Mortal Combat with the magical weapons that he sort of conjures up when you smash the right buttons. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping we stick with the magic theme on this one. I'm gonna give this one a go, and I've got an idea for it I'm inordinately excited about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't a divider used in masonic rites? Because that sure sounds a bit magical to me ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I generally use the yearly KITH to do things I wouldn't normally do. That could be everything from using a weird handle material, to inserting in some wacky design element, to something as simple as just making a style knife I haven't ever done before. 

I love making axes/hawks, but the magical theme has me intrigued. I have a super weird idea that has been floating in my head for about a decade now, and this might be the perfect time to try it. Then again, it might be too much of an undertaking. Either way, I am going to be kicked out of my comfort zone and that is usually a good thing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, pieter-pauld said:

Isn't a divider used in masonic rites? Because that sure sounds a bit magical to me ;)

According to my wife, me, being on time and under budget, is magic to her.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kris are magical knives.

Quote

Kris have been produced in many regions of Indonesia for centuries, but nowhere—although the island of Bali comes close—is the kris so embedded in a mutually-connected whole of ritual prescriptions and acts, ceremonies, mythical backgrounds and epic poetry as in Central Java.

 

Kris

Geoff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 9:33 PM, Jeremy Blohm said:

What would be some magic themed knives? Not really into this kinda thing but im always down for a new challenge.

This may be a little over the top, but I think you will get the idea.

https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?/topic/10396-how-to-make-a-magic-sword/&tab=comments#comment-93731

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Joshua States said:

This may be a little over the top, but I think you will get the idea.

https://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?/topic/10396-how-to-make-a-magic-sword/&tab=comments#comment-93731

 

Thank you for  link i ve been all over the internet trying to figure out what theme i am going with and this is harder than i thought it was going to be! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2017 at 11:33 PM, Jeremy Blohm said:

Any game of thrones knife, LOTR knife, fairy knife, and so on...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...