Wesley Alberson

KITH 2018 poll

KITH 2018  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What should the theme be for the KITH 2018?

• Hatchet/Tomohawk
    • Scissors
    • Dividers
    • Magic Themed Knife/Edged tool
    • Vegetable Peeler

1 hour ago, GBrackett said:

Funny i am just finishing up the lord of the rings. The hobbit is probably one of the only books that i enjoyed reading when i was in school. Now i read anything i feel i can learn something from. Anyway I think i figured out what im going to make. I was thinking about doing Sting bit all the carving and intricate details have me nervously biting my fingernails and sweating bullets. Im only 3 years into this craft and that is why i was voting for the hatchet/tomahawk but seems we are doing something magical and i dont have much imagination when it come to magical themes im going with something from lord of the rings. Im going to attempt the Nazgul dagger that stabbed Frodo in the Fellowship of the Ring.UC2990_united_cutlery_schwert_hobbit_morgul_klinge_dolch_der_nazgul.jpg

Edited by Jeremy Blohm

I hope im not bitting off more than i can chew!:blink:

I would like to point out that the poll item listed says "Magic Themed Knife/Edged tool". So a bit of clarification is required.

Is this an "either or" situation or a "choose between these two" situation? On the one hand (either or) it is the maker's prerogative to choose either a magic themed knife or an edged tool, either one works for the KITH. The second option is to hold another poll to see if one is preferred over the other. If we say it's "either or", then we can make either a magic themed knife or an edged tool. The calipers that double as a dagger fit the requirements, as does a hatchet (with or without runic inscription), as does an Elvin fighting knife. If you made the Elvin knife, you might get a chisel in return. If we say it requires a second poll to decide between the two options, then we have to run another poll.

Edited by Joshua States

It could also mean Magic themed knife or Magic themed edged tool. Like a personal groomer that has some strange magical ability to clip both finger nails and nose hairs.........

• Like 1

I planned on drawing on mythology. 

1 hour ago, Joshua States said:

I would like to point out that the poll item listed says "Magic Themed Knife/Edged tool". So a bit of clarification is required.

I saw it as a magical blade or magical edged tool because of the "/" placement, didn't even consider any of those other options. The power of punctuation!

11 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

Funny i am just finishing up the lord of the rings. The hobbit is probably one of the only books that i enjoyed reading when i was in school. Now i read anything i feel i can learn something from. Anyway I think i figured out what im going to make. I was thinking about doing Sting bit all the carving and intricate details have me nervously biting my fingernails and sweating bullets. Im only 3 years into this craft and that is why i was voting for the hatchet/tomahawk but seems we are doing something magical and i dont have much imagination when it come to magical themes im going with something from lord of the rings. Im going to attempt the Nazgul dagger that stabbed Frodo in the Fellowship of the Ring.UC2990_united_cutlery_schwert_hobbit_morgul_klinge_dolch_der_nazgul.jpg

I had that same idea last night!

I'm really racking my brain trying to think of something cool. 

I decided against the tomahawk I think. 

Can I do a set of kamas? I think I can make some really coool magical ninja ones :ph34r:.... The blades would be made from the finest quality steel smelted in the far away land of Ahmerika. Quenched in the oily blood of it's honorable foe: kanola. 

Screenshot_2017-12-30-09-47-43.png

• Like 2

Like others have said, I already have an idea what to make for this.  Whether or not I can pull it off is another question entirely.  It's going to be way outside of my comfort zone!

When I made the / I meant that either a knife or any edged tool will do. It has to be able to cut or pierce, so anything from hawks to daggers to sharpened dividers will do.

4 hours ago, Alex Middleton said:

It's going to be way outside of my comfort zone!

That is one of the main ideas of joining the fray!

19 hours ago, Joshua States said:

That is one of the main ideas of joining the fray!

It'll definitely be an adventure, that's for sure.  For the knife I'm thinking of I have to figure out how to forge a ridge down the spine of a dagger.  I foresee a lot of questions and scrapped blades in my near future!:lol:

On 12/31/2017 at 6:40 PM, Alex Middleton said:

It'll definitely be an adventure, that's for sure.  For the knife I'm thinking of I have to figure out how to forge a ridge down the spine of a dagger.  I foresee a lot of questions and scrapped blades in my near future!:lol:

Could go about it the other way, rather than forging down you could weld up. ( I could also be talking out of my 5th point of contact as I'm barely even a stock remover let alone a bladesmith)

On Sunday, December 31, 2017 at 3:40 PM, Alex Middleton said:

That brings up a tangentally related tool thought. If I tried I'll bet that I could come up with a bundle of ideas for different spring swage dies. Probably spend more time and materials on them than on anything else, but it would be nice to have a wall of them handy. Of course there are blacksmith's swage blocks but not many of them cover "ridge spines for daggers"

I have been absent for many months and this is the first time i have been back on. Seeing this KITH theme has inspired me to join the fray this year. I am excited and think i will be entering. 

BTW thanks to those of you who have been supporting me over on my instagram page @Jon Cook@Wes Detrick @Wesley Alberson

• Like 1

On 1/4/2018 at 5:00 AM, Chris C-S said:

I have been absent for many months and this is the first time i have been back on. Seeing this KITH theme has inspired me to join the fray this year. I am excited and think i will be entering. 

BTW thanks to those of you who have been supporting me over on my instagram page @Jon Cook@Wes Detrick @Wesley Alberson

You are welcome Chris :)

Edited by Wes Detrick
  • Like 1

Would this muddy the waters too much? "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

47 minutes ago, Jon Cook said:

Would this muddy the waters too much? "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

According to Disc World rules that is absolutely true.

57 minutes ago, JJ Simon said:

According to Disc World rules that is absolutely true.

And on the other end, you have Doctorow's nanobot-laced goose synthesizing gold. 

• Like 1

How did I forget HEX? I've read Soul Music a couple times, I should know that one. 

I have been out of this for a bit, but now that my affairs are in order, I think ill give it a go.  Now to come up with a storyline to go with a blade.

• Like 1