JamesK

Noticed warp

Just finished up what I would call a hunting/camping knife so I started to temper it but realized it had a small warp on just the edge, and if I grind it out I’ll lose at least a few millimeters off the edge, which is already lower than I want it to be...is there any risk or permanent effects of heat treating twice, even after a first temper? So far I heat treated and tempered it but now it kind of has to be hammered straight again

As long as you don't get it hot enough long enough to cause grain growth you're fine.  You can always try retempering with it clamped to a bit of bar or angle so that the warp is straightened out.  Sometimes that works.

There is a higher risk as when redoing it, this puts more stress on the steel. I've done it loads of times with positive results though. I'd say go for it!

1 hour ago, Alan Longmire said:

As long as you don't get it hot enough long enough to cause grain growth you're fine.  You can always try retempering with it clamped to a bit of bar or angle so that the warp is straightened out.  Sometimes that works.

Ok thanks for the advice! I may just heat it to a few hundred degrees then clamp it and let it cool slowly in the air with pressure on it, maybe that’ll work...otherwise I’ll jist leave it because it’s near the base of the knife and I’ll use it mostly for chopping so it shouldn’t get in the way