IMPORTANT Registration rules Read more... ×

A little late to the party, but I've got a copy of the Vaesen and the Norse Gods books, and they're both fantastic! The illustrations are beautiful, and I believe done by the author himself. They are a bit expensive, but it's because they do their own printing in house as far as I understand. All in all, the two I have are great books and I'd highly recommend them for what they are.

John

• Thanks 1

No opinion on those books, but if you want to expand your understanding of the Vikings, I recommend this book.

. The Viking Way: Religion and War in Late Iron Age Scandinavia by Neil Price

Here's a description of the author and book from the web site https://norse-mythology.org/10-best-advanced-norse-mythology-books/

"Neil Price is an archaeologist who specializes in Viking Age northern Europe. His great gift, in addition to the sheer depth of his knowledge of the Old Norse world, is his ability to find connections and implications in a body of data that hundreds of others before him have missed.

That ability and that wealth of knowledge are on full display in The Viking Way, which is actually Price’s doctoral dissertation. In The Viking Way, Price regales the reader with lavish descriptions of the techniques the Vikings used in their practice of magic and their practice of war, as well as the position the two occupied within the Vikings’ religion and worldview more broadly. By the end, Price is able to come to far-reaching conclusions that reshape our understanding of that religion and that worldview.

Unfortunately, The Viking Way is currently out of print. It appears that a second edition is in the works, but for now it can be difficult to find. (Hence the lack of an Amazon link here – used copies rarely show up even on Amazon.) If you find it for sale, buy it, and if you find it at a library, check it out. You’ll be very glad you did."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys, I am once again in the market for good reading and I do appreciate the recommendations. 

@Gerald Boggs I wonder if this is the second edition referred to at the site you posted.

It could be, the description on Amazon sounds like what I read. I did a search and while that title is listed soon to be for sale, I can't find a site that list both of them and no sale site lists the first title.  I'm guessing the publishers thought a change in title would better sales.   Mind you, this is the type of book to be found at your local university, that's where I read it.  Off topic: most public universities are open to the public and if you're a state resident, you can check out books.