Crusader sword

My crusade has begun.  With my interest in the Knights Templar and the beginning of the new show 'Knightfall', I finally decided to embark on the crusader sword.  While the ones in the show have all of the engraving and enhancements, I will be trying to be more historically correct.  The target overall length is about 39" with a blade width of 2 1/4" at the hilt.  The fuller length will be about 2/3 of the length of the blade.  The hilt will be a simple cross hilt and the pommel will be a simple medallion type.  In the photo, you see what I started out with, a new leaf spring blank that was cut in half.  I have one of the blade blanks roughly forged with more forging to go.  

PC190003.JPG

• Like 3

You are of to a great start!
Make the fuller deep so it leaves about a 1 mm web in the middle of the blade.
Make the outer third of the blade thin (about .5 mm behind the point) and make a rather drastic distal taper in the first 1/5 of the blade (go down 1.5 - 2 mm in thickness).

The blade will then be agile and nice to work with.

I will watch this with interest!

• Like 1

And for today's progress...  The blade had to go back into the forge to take care of a slight warp.  The warp was spread out and too much to grind out, so I got it straightened and annealed (again).  After all that, the cleanup work has begun along with the beginning of the bevel work.

PC220001.JPG

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...