Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Blohm

Efficient way to make charcoal

On 3/18/2018 at 4:22 AM, Troels Saabye said:

Okay, I'm about to cut my big fuel tank and convert it into a retort - but now im thinking : Should I install a grill in the bottom of it ? for easier passages of gasses through the woodmass ?

If its not too much extra trouble it might help. But might also be a loss of valuable space and could make more difficult cleaning. 

Exactly Jeremy ! And I think it would be a pain to make a grill to withstand 1.8 m3 wood ontop..

I am going to be getting my tank in the next few days and im going to have to borrow some torches to cut it. It is way to thick to cut with a grinder. I will update soon with pictures.

I have found a mini version of the tank im getting. I am debating on trying to get it for making smaller batches.

Just make sure it has a big hole or three in it.  Torch cutting a tank is very dangerous.  Explosive gases will build up inside no matter what, and you absolutely must vent them before they build up enough to blow.  I'd use a reciprocating saw, myself.  It's slower and louder, but safer.

• Thanks 1

I was always taught to drill holes in tanks on every side before cutting. That way, whether the gases created are heavier or lighter than air, they can still escape. A hole at the top of a tank does you little good if youre trying to vent something heavy like argon. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2018 at 4:11 PM, Alan Longmire said:

I'd use a reciprocating saw, myself.  It's slower and louder, but safer.

I would use a reciprocating saw bet the rank is al least 1/4 wall. If i did anything other than the torch it would be a 7 inch grinder with cut off wheels. I would rather cit it with something else to get a better cut line but i think it would take forever.

The tank has two 2 inch pipes out the top, what if i hooked a shop vac to one in order to suck the gasses out?

32 minutes ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

The tank has two 2 inch pipes out the top, what if i hooked a shop vac to one in order to suck the gasses out?

Not enough.  You will be filling the tank with unburned acetylene and oxygen.  Acetylene sinks, oxygen rises.  Maybe if you had the shop vac blowing instead of sucking...

What about opening a few more vents hooking up a blower and the shop vac?

Or i will suck it ip and just cut it with a grinder or sawzall. I just have a feeling i will burn them up.

A couple more vents and a blower ought to do the trick.  And you might get away without it.  And you might not. Thus the suggestion of vents and blower, since if you don't get away with it it'll be the last thing you didn't get away with.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeremy Blohm said:

What about opening a few more vents hooking up a blower and the shop vac?

Or i will suck it ip and just cut it with a grinder or sawzall. I just have a feeling i will burn them up.

Better them than you.

Would you rather write a "look at what I did" thread in Hot Work or have someone else write a "Look a what he did" thread in Shop Safety ?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Vern Wimmer said:

Better them than you.

This is a good point. Maybe i will buy a harbor freight 7 inch grinder with the warrantee and just keep bringing them back.:D

• Haha 2

I dont know why i didn't think of it before but why not use a plasma cutter and have no worries about gas build up.

Fill it with water, then cut with disc or sawmill.

This is perfect! A mini version of the one in going to build.