Chef's knife christmas present

Einar

Happy Festivus, folks. As a seasoned procrastinator, I finally finished this chefs knife for my nephew around 2 o'clock this morning. Here in Norway, we open the presents today, at Christmas eve, so I'm cutting it close.

Spring steel blade, differentially heat treated with clay. The hamon is there but not really visible in the pics because my attempts at etching were... unsatisfactory to say the least, so I sanded away the etch for a more plain, satin finish. 

Beech burl handle and spring steel blade. 12" blade, 6" handle.

Lijgi1W.jpg

NeAcF32.jpg?1

DCS3hmi.jpg

hkPhpjT.jpg?1

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Joël Mercier said:

Beautiful and clean work with good geometry. I'm sure this will be a great performer. Thumbs up M.Einar!

4 hours ago, Vern Wimmer said:

Truly nice work. "Clean" and yet "Racey" at the same time.

Thank you both. My nephew loved it, so I'm a very happy uncle today. :)

I can't add much to what's been said already.  Truly great work.  Too bad the hamon didn't come out but that's the nature of the beast.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

Depends on the spring steel.  Simple alloys such as 1095 are considered to be spring steels.  I've gotten decent  hamons with 9260.  It's one of the reasons that I wish that I could find the alloy.  However if he used something like 5160 it would be remarkable that he got anything, though I've read claims where people have done it.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

3 hours ago, Doug Lester said:

Depends on the spring steel.  Simple alloys such as 1095 are considered to be spring steels.  I've gotten decent  hamons with 9260.  It's one of the reasons that I wish that I could find the alloy.  However if he used something like 5160 it would be remarkable that he got anything, though I've read claims where people have done it.

Doug

The steel is called Nablo 5028, and as far as i can recall, its almost identical to 1060, apart from a bit higher silicone content. The hamon was clearly visible after a lemon and vinegar etch, but the etch was uneven and just didnt look very good, and I was running short on time, so I brought it back to a satin finish.