I’m looking for 1018 steel to make an axe body from. Does anyone happen to have 3/4”x2”x4” 1018 mild steel? I’ve looked online and the websites have great prices (as low as $4 per piece) yet they say that shipping is $20 with ups. This doesn’t make sense to me considering the bar only weighs about 1.7 pounds and you can fit at least 2 in a small USPS flat rate box for $6.95. Thanks guys! 

-Jeff 

If you have any industrial steel suppliers nearby just call them and ask if they carry 3/4"round bar. If yes, then ask if it's 1018 (could be A36). It's a whole lot cheaper that way. It usually comes in 20ish foot lengths, but they can cut it down. If you have to have it cut ask if they have a "drop shop". You could get it even cheaper that way. You'd have to pick it up though.

Good luck! 

Edited by Zeb Camper

Got a local welding shop??? Steel has gone up, (even mild steel) and the young man makes more money on the road than at his shop. However I got a local that has a shop and If I drive by and he's at the shop I stop to see him. If I am in need I will ask him if I can scrounge through his drops. There is always a pile of steel various, thicknesses and sizes. A few bucks will get you in and out with what you need. This fellar don't drink but if you got one who does a cold beer will sometimes get you what you need and if not it will at least grease the wheels for the next trip.

That is the problem with a teetotaller is he ain't interested in a good drink, be some smooth shine to a cold beer. Your just out of luck in that respect!! image.jpeg

Thanks for the reply guys! I’ve tried calling local shops before and they basically laughed when I asked for a drop,  the other place around her wanted $22 bucks for one tiny block of steel. Luckily I called speedy metals and they said they would ship in a small flat rate for me. So I got 2 blocks of mild in the said dimensions for ~$12 shipped! 

-Jeff 

9 hours ago, JeffFogleboch said:

Thanks for the reply guys! I’ve tried calling local shops before and they basically laughed when I asked for a drop,  the other place around her wanted $22 bucks for one tiny block of steel. Luckily I called speedy metals and they said they would ship in a small flat rate for me. So I got 2 blocks of mild in the said dimensions for ~$12 shipped! 

-Jeff 

Man, I hate that you got a raw deal. Sorry. I guess they either just aren't as nice as our suppliers, or they just treat us better because we're a business (my boss's company).

I would guess a 20 foot stick of 3/4" round to be $30 (an over estimation likely). I see you are from Va. May I ask what area of Va?

All things considered you came out OK at $12. For the time and trouble you now know where to go.